Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Some years ago, I think it was under JAR the CAA refused,for a shortwhile, to recognise French class 2 medicals when France moved to 2 year medicals for certain age groups before the UK.

France

Graham wrote:

Can EASA not restrict EASA licence holders any way they like?

Only as far as they have jurisdiction.

The fly a particular aircraft on a particular licence surely you need two ‘permissions’ from (or at least, not be forbidden by) the state of aircraft registry and the licence issuer?

Not necessarily, ultimately it is the state you fly in that determines what permissions you need.

So EASA could just say: “our licences are not valid to fly a G-reg anywhere”.

I don’t see how they can say that because they have no jurisdiction outside EASA-land. Nothing prevents the CAA from issuing a general (or individual) validation of EASA licenses. I guess EASA can still ban EASA license holders from flying G-reg in EASA-land, but I don’t see why they would do that. Flying a G-reg on a CAA validated EASA license outside EASA-land can’t be a violation of any EASA regulation. (At least I don’t see how it could be.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 19 Mar 13:03
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

Some years ago, I think it was under JAR the CAA refused,for a shortwhile, to recognise French class 2 medicals when France moved to 2 year medicals for certain age groups before the UK.

Coincidentally, I have just written a longish post about this on another forum, because as a Brit living in France with a UK issued JAR-PPL I was particularly affected by this stuff. It wasnt the UK CAA that was the problem:

skydriller wrote:

IIR…initially pretty much everything JAR was mutually recognised across the board by default and countries had transition time to make JAR legistation. What happened in the French case is that the FFA objected to something in the JAR class2 medical rules and blocked the legislation, so around 2007 the french class 2 was not JAR compliant because the transition period to make legislation was over. In my case, the UK CAA Aeromedical branch said before christmas “yes, the french class 2 is valid for your PPL” so I renewed it in January & sent everything off to them. About 3-4 months later I got a letter out of the blue saying my French class2 wasnt JAR compliant… to-and-fro reveals that if I had done the medical before the end of the year, no problem, but not in January… Got next 2 medicals in the UK and Austria…

Then EASA arrived and all was fine in the Euro-world again, except that the UK CAA Aeromedical in its wisdom, having told me again “yes the french are now in EASA, all is good with their class2 medical” decided that the one I sent them didnt actually have EASA on it, so wasnt valid…. to-and-fro this time with AME, DGAC and CAA, got a “new” medical (ie the new print version) and everything was fine… :roll:

Since then, having SOLIed, last year the UK CAA Aeromedical accepted a French EASA class 2 for my UK ICAO PPL…

Flyer Forum for original context

Last Edited by skydriller at 19 Mar 13:20

Can EASA not restrict EASA licence holders any way they like?
So EASA could just say: “our licences are not valid to fly a G-reg anywhere”.

I don’t think it works that way.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Does anyone know if the UK remains in ECAC?

Does anyone know if the modification grandfathering (since EASA took over certification in 2003) works between the UK and the EU? For example can a CAA approval for an EDM700, from 1998, be used to do an installation on a D-reg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Although it was a founding member I think you would still have to ask your DfT for a definitive answer because there is no reason tjey should not be other than the choice of UK Government

France

I have written to the DfT on the ECAC question.

Administrator

Peter, it is still shown as member on ECAC website:
https://www.ecac-ceac.org/united-kingdom

EGTR

OK; interesting. I posted the Q earlier. It does look affirmative, but I will still try to get a definitive answer.

I think this has all been discussed but someone sent me CAP 1714 which is a presentation on some post brexit changes.

Administrator

Someone found this and sent it to me – post brexit UK opportunities

Administrator
Sign in to add your message