Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

I think that is an accurate assessment, except that a lot of it is for “right to work” issues i.e. airlines. The passport doesn’t otherwise come into it, for GA travel.

Even if you have a schengen passport and you fly UK to some non-international airport, that passport is of no help when you land. It is the fact that the flight is from the UK that matters.

Come to think of it, when Easyjet moved a % of its fleet to Austria so they could do cabotage flights, they must have obtained visas for those pilots pretty easily, in addition to EASA papers (and without them sitting the ATPL exams!).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Has there been any CAA adjustment to the retained EASA regulation? There was a lot of pre EASA stuff that would be great to get back.

Anyone for inbuilt IMC ratings for CPL and IR holders?

Last Edited by Bathman at 20 Feb 14:50

Bathman wrote:

Anyone for inbuilt IMC ratings for CPL and IR holders?

What would be the point of that for IR holders?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

in addition to EASA papers (and without them sitting the ATPL exams!).

Surely the ones going to Austria would have just done the SOLI transfer?

Andreas IOM

24 month IMCR validity

Surely the ones going to Austria would have just done the SOLI transfer?

I think you need a working visa for cabotage flights, but I could well be wrong because I recall past cases where the grant of an AOC just covers everything.

Administrator

Sorry I don’t accept that it’s a totally accurate assessment for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I don’t get the way the presenter pronounces AY-AH-SAH – correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the first letter of the Acronym “E”? Or when we pronounce the name of that well known French energy provider, currently indebted to the tune of around 65 Billion €, do we call them AY-DEE-EFF?

Sorry, just remembered, that’s the old fashioned arrow thing in the cockpit which swings around pointing towards a radio signal . What about when we talk about the device for measuring the temperature of gases leaving the combustion chamber, do we call it an AY-GEE-TEE gauge? Concerning the regulators, I’ve always called them EE-AH-SAH – am I the only one to do so? Dunno, maybe I need teaching in phonetics…. shrug

However, fun aside, the claims that to look for work in Europe, a UK citizen needs to apply for a visa first is, speaking for Germany, wrong – a Brit can travel to Germany, visa free, for 90 days and look for a job. The source is here. (scroll down to the part “I am british and want to enter Germany to work”.)

Then the applicant goes to the Ausländeramt – pretty much as I did back in 1986 before Freedom of Movement existed – and requests an Aufenthaltstitel. This will typically be issued for 6 months; assuming the applicant has kept his nose clean, has a job and a location he’s registered as living at, they then can receive a time limited and then a permanent Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

There is an exception to this and this is IF you already have a job offer in Germany and want to start working immediately upon arrival – here the candidate should request a visa before entry and within 90 days of arrival, register with the Ausländeramt. Then they can start working immediately upon arrival.

I accept that for an employer to look for a regular employee, the way via the Arbeitsamt can be a little long winded and / or intimidating but if the prospective candidate has skills which are in short supply and has a recognised qualification – for example, an ATPL – then the employer can request an accelerated approval which can be granted within a week, at the princely expense of €411. Imagine you’re an employer, you’re short of staff and want an airline mechanic or pilot, are you going to quibble over €411 to ensure your candidate can start working within a week or so? Or will you go the long way and hope your prospective employee doesn’t find a new job in the mean time?

Is it a pain compared to pre-Brexit? Yes, but hardly different from pre-1992 when freedom of movement didn’t truly exist. In any case, if Japanese, Americans, Canadians can settle in Europe – fun fact: Düsseldorf has the largest number of Japanese living in one city outside of Japan – surely as industrious Brits, we should all be able to do so too? The reality is that the avionics sector still has lucrative opportunities if you have the correct licence and experience which employers are looking for….

EDL*, Germany

More IMCR examiners, 24 months validity and flying multi-engines

Although,

I think you need a working visa for cabotage flights, but I could well be wrong because I recall past cases where the grant of an AOC just covers everything.

Visa is not required as “visiting pilot”, AOC covers everything, at least what Schengen Border Code say

Yes the main problem is scheduled cabotage flights, these are not covered by ICAO (Art5) and will end up requiring domestic papers for operators, aircrafts, pilots: EASA FCL, EASA AOC, EASA REG and the business will have to comply with local rules: local work contracts, local taxation…it’s easy to sort this if the pilots are based/resident and this will require work permit (unlike visitor pilot), a friend of mine told me EasyJet does monitor and report all days he spends in UK and EU

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Feb 16:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Come to think of it, when Easyjet moved a % of its fleet to Austria so they could do cabotage flights, they must have obtained visas for those pilots pretty easily, in addition to EASA papers (and without them sitting the ATPL exams!).

Steve6443 wrote:

Then the applicant goes to the Ausländeramt – pretty much as I did back in 1986 before Freedom of Movement existed – and requests an Aufenthaltstitel. This will typically be issued for 6 months; assuming the applicant has kept his nose clean, has a job and a location he’s registered as living at, they then can receive a time limited and then a permanent Aufenthaltserlaubnis.

These responses miss the central problem I was trying to raise.

If you have a European passport you can work when and where you want throughout the EU without needing any form of visa or work permit.

If you have a British passport, you need a visa for each individual country you want to work in.

That is the difference between having freedom of movement and not having it.

If you work for Easyjet in Germany, you have a German contract and are “working in Germany”, in France you are “working in France”, and likewise for all EU bases.

So if I’m running an airline, and I want to recruit a pilot for one of my European bases, why would I choose a Brit who needs cumbersome paperwork every time they change country, when I could recruit an Irishman, a Frenchman, a German… who can just turn up and start working (and who I can move from base to base when I want)?

Last Edited by Bordeaux_Jim at 20 Feb 17:35
LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

But who is doing the recruiting?

Easyjet!

And they want a properly trained pilot with ELP6, not “fake ELP4” which is so common.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message