Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

@Steve6443 but then if You were living in the EU before Brexit, and if You have EASA licences, then under Article 18, You have the right to live and work in the EU for ever, as long as You dont reside outside the EU for more than 5 years, and up until this year, You could even fly or mechanic on UK registered aeroplanes as well as EASA ones…

Brixit has personally cost me hassle and money, and like You, having jumped through hoops and paying again to get things I already had, I should technically have those rights I mention above…

But I personally know that @Bordeaux_jim is dead on the money when it comes to employment issues. I have discovered that many EU companies directly bin an application if you are British, regardless of what you put down as your address – additionally, some online systems don’t let you apply for a job if you select “UK” for either nationality or passport holder…

And just for @Peter, there are solutions…its just that they are even more costly and time consuming than they were in the lead up to Brexit.

skydriller wrote:

But I personally know that Bordeaux_jim is dead on the money when it comes to employment issues. I have discovered that many EU companies directly bin an application if you are British, regardless of what you put down as your address – additionally, some online systems don’t let you apply for a job if you select “UK” for either nationality or passport holder…

That sort of attitude is ok if there are more pilots / mechanics to meet the demand – which is still the case for airline pilots but the pendulum is swinging the other way. I think that we can all agree that pilots are more skilled than lorry drivers, yet the latter are in demand and are currently exempt from certain rules on employing 3rd country citizens. When the tables turn and there are more pilot vacancies than applicants to fill them, I’m pretty sure we’ll see attitudes change. And there is a pilot shortage on the horizon – see here.

In the meantime, as I try to point out, the EU is not the be all and end all. There are other options open to UK pilots, as Bordeaux_jim himself confirmed so perhaps those who are newly qualified should look to these other options. Even working for (eg) EasyJet would allow a UK employee to be based out of Switzerland or Austria for a limited period of time, if necessary.

So, my comment is why gripe about the fact that you needed to jump through a few hoops? Yes, like you I needed to take steps to secure my rights here but I don’t whine about it; I’m actually quite relieved that Brexit was implemented, even if the actual implementation is lacking – because had it been stopped, then it would have clearly shown that democracy was dead in UK. What would be worse? You and I needing to take steps to secure our rights / new pilots needing to accept limitations or the democratic will of a nation being overthrown by people who claim to “know everything better”?

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

democratic will of a nation

You must be joking

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

You must be joking

why would you say that? I suppose you could say: the vote was only 52: 48% in favour of leaving, therefore too tight to call. But then you’d have to face up to the reality that this 4% actually represented 1.4 million MORE voters who voted in favour of leaving than in staying. Get 1.4 million people together in one location and say: as a majority, you are too small to matter, then see what happens.

Or do you mean it’s not the democratic will of the nation because it wasn’t the approved result the EU desired, hence UK should have voted again, like other nations did when the decision went against EU?

EDL*, Germany

Any more brexit posts, not relevant to GA, will be deleted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In the meantime, as I try to point out, the EU is not the be all and end all. There are other options open to UK pilots, as Bordeaux_jim himself confirmed so perhaps those who are newly qualified should look to these other options. Even working for (eg) EasyJet would allow a UK employee to be based out of Switzerland or Austria for a limited period of time, if necessary.

So which “entry airlines” hire young British pilots with CAA and/or EASA papers? it’s not RyanAir, not EasyJet, not WizzAir…I do get that experienced pilots with +10 years experience can go to fly for Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Quantas, Cathy Pacific…actually, if one is really good and working hard, he could even fly NASA or SpaceX after earning his American citizenship

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Feb 08:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I don’t understand. This is complete nonsense.

Both Ryanair and easyJet hire young and ab initio pilots all the time, with UK papers. A friend just got a job with E.

Non UK papers are potentially needed only for cabotage flights.

But anyway this is 100% irrelevant to GA.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Surely the ones going to Austria would have just done the SOLI transfer?

I think you need a working visa for cabotage flights, but I could well be wrong because I recall past cases where the grant of an AOC just covers everything.

When EasyJet moved part of their fleet, the people working those flights were almost certainly already based in and resident in the EU. So if they were British, by being based in the EU before the cut-off date they would retain the ability to live and work there, and all they would need would be the SOLI transfer for their ATPL. I dare say EasyJet also have quite a few pilots from EU countries too (certainly on flights to Barcelona and Spain, there have been Spanish crew, both flight attendants and pilots).

Andreas IOM

Looks great, then, EU passports are not needed to get jobs in RyanAir and EasyJet

I asked that question to Steve, I got this very informed answer from Peter I think he can reply with his examples?

Seems there is lot of busllshit and mis-information in this forums

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Feb 09:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It’s very simple. Flights out of the UK to the EU are not cabotage. No UK passport or EU work permit needed. Same with say American Airlines flying to Paris; they don’t need EU papers or work permits.

Seems there is lot of busllshit and mis-information in this forums

The problem is that you make a lot of posts which have words and/or puctuation missing and thus do not make much sense to an English language reader. And then you make the above completely ridiculous claim, which as an admin I cannot leave in place (short of deleting this whole debate).

When EasyJet moved part of their fleet, the people working those flights were almost certainly already based in and resident in the EU. So if they were British, by being based in the EU before the cut-off date they would retain the ability to live and work there, and all they would need would be the SOLI transfer for their ATPL. I dare say EasyJet also have quite a few pilots from EU countries too (certainly on flights to Barcelona and Spain, there have been Spanish crew, both flight attendants and pilots).

I think that’s exactly right. I spoke to one EJ pilot recently and that’s what he said. The only EJ crew and aircraft which “went to Austria” were those doing cabotage flights. And the cabin crew tend to be “foreign locals” anyway because few Brits can speak any other language

The other thing is that, in the airline business, the granting of an AOC also grants implicit exemptions to various local regs. This has always been the case. For example if there is a local reg saying that foreign reg cannot park for more than 30 days (e.g. the crazy reg in Italy some years ago) this is exempted when under an AOC. Or the use of an N-reg for intra-EU passenger jet flights. And exactly what concessions you get depends on the “realpolitik situation”.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message