Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

90% of your health depends on your genes

It depends on how you define “depends”. My grandfather died at ~75 having smoked ~150/day since he was 15, so he clearly had a very high genetic immunity to lung cancer. He also ate crap all his life (in communism, most people ate crap because that’s all there was). But he was an extreme example. Most people have a high degree of control over their health, via (a) food and (b) exercise, and for most people (a) is much more achievable than (b). Look at the obesity and diabetes epidemic in say the UK and tell me that the DNA of 90% of the population has changed… of course it has not; they are getting little exercise and they are eating crap.

The difficulty with dietary changes is making them achievable long term. Food is intimately tied up with peoples’ emotional lives. It can take a strong will, more so if there is no family support. Juicing is achievable in just about all circumstances, however.

Obviously it’s almost wasted if you then have a Big Mac… A guy working in a firm under me has just had a heart attack, at 50, and has had stents put in. He eats crap all day (burgers etc). Somebody has just seen him standing outside the hospital, with the drip under his arm, having a smoke. Go figure, as they say…

Instead of squeezing the juice out of these beetroots, I will eat the whole beetroot instead

That’s very true but it will take a very strong willed person to eat even a fraction of the veg in my 1st photo! Whereas anybody is easily capable of drinking the juice – obviously not in one go but over a day or two. It keeps for a day in the fridge. If you stick a bit of pineapple in there it tastes really nice no matter what else is in there.

eat the cow that has eaten beetroot all its life

I know you are kidding but you are getting a ton of growth hormones etc etc which is great for feeding cancers and whatever else. Antibiotics? Red meat has its place but most people in N Europe eat almost no veg, and restaurant menus support this trend.

here’s all we need to know

Yeah, not far off Protein should be about 25% of the plate. The rest should be fruit or veg. This is one example, though this is digressing from juicing

how easy is it to clean that juicer?

2-5 minutes on ours – the Kuvings B6000

Old ones were much worse and it put a lot of people off. They are very good nowadays. There are still some gotchas e.g. carrots need to be sliced up (as in my pic), and kale leaves need to be interspersed with other stuff (e.g. carrots) otherwise the juicer jams.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Growth promoting hormones are not allowed in European beef production. I believe it is used in South American beef production. I do not know about the US in this regard

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Sure… I meant the hormones in the beef.

Administrator

juicers can be a pain to clean, Ive got one of the Heston ones from John Lewis, and its a dream to clean.

Re, raised blood pressure, Id say about 20% of people on BP tablets don’t actually have high Blood Pressure, except when its being measured by their doctors. We rarely diagnose BP based solely on clinic readings anymore, much better to get a digital BP machine, monitor own BP at home, and give the doc the readings. Remember we are animals, not machines, and 50 Bps over a month or 2 are statistically much more useful than a single BP in a false environment.

There, Ive said something useful.

Andrew (AME and Medical Practitioner)

egbw

Here is more for all you pilots who like to look after your health

Before:

After:

Of course some will say “what a waste of veg” but the point is that almost nobody would eat that much veg whereas drinking the juice is easy and it’s a lot more tasty.

Administrator

You will earn my respect when you start eating the stuff in the left bin and toss the right one.

You will earn my respect when you start eating the stuff in the left bin and toss the right one.

Some of that “sawdust” can actually be put to good use. Carrot pulp goes into carrot cake. Beetroot pulp can be made into a traditional Russian spread by microwaving it to get rid of the earthy taste, then adding finely chopped walnuts or prunes, some grated garlic, and some olive oil, sour cream or mayonnaise (maybe add back a bit of juice so it wouldn’t be too dry). Or you can probably even take the whole mix, add eggs, flour, garlic, ginger and black pepper, mix it well, form into patties and fry them.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There’s actually not so much wrong with a McD Big Mac. There’s been enough tests proving that actually it’s not the Big Mac in the Fast Food Diet that will kill you sooner or later, but the liters of soda, full of sugar.

Other studies say that 2/3 or more of all health problems could be prevented by eating healthy and everybody who excercises regularly and eats with just a little discipline knows how much of a difference that makes.

The trick is: eat ANYTHING, but in the right quantity,

Beeing in the Czech Republic every week i agree that there’s probably not many societies that live as unhealthy as the Czech. Ten days ago i went to see a Blues Band play in a little country bar. Not beeing used to indoor smoking anymore – it almost killed me after an hour and i could not let my kids stay in there any longer as well. And the amounts of alcohol are simply unbelievable. Maybe (having quit drinking alcohol 20 years ago) i am somewhat extreme,

The trick is: eat ANYTHING, but in the right quantity

I don’t believe that for a moment, if taken literally. It is the line taken by the sweets industry who say that “a Mars bar is fine as a part of a balanced diet”, which is obviously true in so far as eating one a month is not going to do anything to you. But there is no “right quantity” at which you could eat only Mars bars and not get ill (and probably die fairly soon).

If you ate big macs only, in the “right quantity” (whatever quantity that may be) you will get quite ill within a few months. In fact somebody tried that, for some TV programme I seem to recall, a year or so ago, and he did get very ill. The reason is you won’t be getting an awful lot of stuff which the body needs. In a big mac you will be getting poor quality meat, loads of poor quality fat, and poor quality bread (and bread turns into sugar as soon as you eat it). Sure you can eat a big mac every so often. Probably once a week is fine – like the stodgy chocolate cake at my local airport

Pop into any burger bar and look at what looks like the regulars there. Especially the older people. Here in the UK it is often obese mums with obese kids. They look like death warmed up. Same in KFCs.

not many societies that live as unhealthy as the Czech

The Czechs eat very badly but I think so do most societies which had only poor quality food due to poverty (under Communism in the case of CZ, as I well remember, 1957-69) and then got some money so they could easily buy more of the same.

Administrator

I lived on takeout food almost 100% for 25 years. Looking back from my current mode of eating ‘good quality’ home cooking I’d say the following:

1) In many places (the US for sure) its a heck of a lot cheaper to eat out, and you can do it and simultaneously eat well. I am not overweight and have no health issues.

2) The world is a better place for the availability of inexpensive take out food, and in particular those without much money live better as a result of it. All they need is a little discipline not to eat too much volume, or too much of the wrong stuff. I prefer Mexican take out food, fish in particular. Hard to find that in Europe but there sure are a lot of other good choices. I drink water mostly, its free.

3) If you can afford it, eating home cooked food with little animal fat and lot of vegetables is a good thing. I like it a lot and have gained 10 lbs on it in six months Take note however that depending on circumstances the expensive part may be the preparer, not the food I’m hoping to lose the 10 lbs by controlling intake. Very few people get fat while eating nothing.

I did notice the food in CZ tends towards meat and beer. Not unlike Bavaria only more so. In either place I’ve had no trouble ordering atypical food if wanted.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Jan 17:42
Sign in to add your message