Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

Actually, is one of the prerequesits for healthy food that it looks disgusting?

Having lived for 22 years with a nutritionist I can tell you – absolutely not!!

The dirty secret of this whole ‘healthy diet’ crowd is that 90% of your health depends on your genes, 9% on food and 1% on exercise. They won’t tell you that, because
a) they’d be out of business
b) you wouldn’t be scared any more – and we don’t want that, do we

It’s actually quite interesting to read the labels of so-called health food. Just have a look at some of the oh-so-healthy bulk granola you can buy. Most of these things should come with a Hazmat sticker (in bright yellow). Huge sugar and fat contents, waaay above your recommended intake. Stay away from processed food (ever checked the label on ready meal?) and you’ll be fine.

All the above said, I do like my freshly squeezed juices (they really are good!) and Peter will be pleased to hear that I had a glass of homemade veg juice just an hour ago!

I’m only joking. It’s the taste that counts.

For years I was not keen on fish, or that interested in green vegetables, and was a definite salad dodger.
My wife’s persistence has resulted in me changing my diet totally. I returned today from 4 days in Portugal having eaten nothing but fish, vegetables and salad while we were there!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I can’t match 22 years with a nutritionist (well not for another 11 years ) but I suspect posting about healthy eating in a pilot forum is a bit of a lost cause. Still worth doing though, because you never know who might quietly take it on board

Of course most ready-meal food is crap, and most of the “healthy” breakfast cereals are sugar loaded crap too.

Also one cannot change to a healthy diet overnight if one has spent say 50 years eating traditional N European restaurant- and home-cooked food. One has to do it gradually.

And as a Czech I regard traditional Czech food as well into the “instant heart attack” and “instant lower digestive tract cancer” category, and I believe they have the numbers to support that.

I am no way a vegetarian and will eat most things if there is no choice, but I really enjoy food containing lots of brightly coloured vegetables. Roasted veg for example is really tasty and doesn’t need to be covered with litres of sauce which is the standard restaurant technique for making crap commercial-grade ingredients (e.g. €1/kg chicken) edible.

Anyway, the purpose of the original post was to draw attention to a way of getting more easily through your medical if like so many pilots you are pushing 150/95. That stuff is as effective as any single BP medication. Hibiscus tea is another which has a similar effect, but is a lot more deuretic.

Some studies have shown an inverse correlation between prostate issues and sex but in the absence of a causal relationship being established there could be a third factor, and it is very easy to guess what that could be – the usual “social science research” problem…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

it looks disgusting

That is largely a matter of taste, and of habits (which is largely the same thing)
’t Will be a strong one, though, that gets me to eat termites or algae.

posting about healthy eating in a pilot forum is a bit of a lost cause

I’m not so sure there – most of us are men past their prime youth, to put it mildly; we get confronted with health concerns on all sides, not least at our annual or bi-annual medical checkup. And for most of us, we will stop flying because/when our medical runs out. OTOH we all have learnt, to a certain degree, to say “I know I am taking a risk and to hell with the consequences, at least I will have had the good side of it”.

90% of your health depends on your genes, 9% on food and 1% on exercise

I am not qualified to comment on this, not having lived even a single day at the side of a nutritionist, but it seems to concur with some of my observations, and could explain them.

it will actually PREVENT people from doing the IMPORTANT and necessary things

Yes indeed, and that’s the really bad thing. It must be a consequence of making free i.e. commercial enterprise responsible for more and more aspects of our lives, including our health.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

… but I suspect posting about healthy eating in a pilot forum is a bit of a lost cause.

As a matter of fact, every operating manual for commercial aviation has a couple of paragraphs stating that flight crew are required to live a healthy life with good nutrition and regular exercise. However, they do not explain how exactly one is supposed to do that, especially when you are flying around at unusual times…

And regarding Peters homemade health brew: i am rather a “purist” regarding food. Instead of squeezing the juice out of these beetroots, I will eat the whole beetroot instead (which contain a lot more healthy stuff than just the liquid). And maybe some of the other ingrediens, but not mixed together that way.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You can also eat the cow that has eaten beetroot all its life. That’s basically a beetroot concentrate!

You can also eat the cow that has eaten beetroot all its life. That’s basically a beetroot concentrate!

Together with fried potatos that were grown using the squeezed-out waste from Peter’s beetroots as fertiliser. A double-concentrated beetroot menu so to say.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

fried potatos that were grown using [ … ]

Belgians have tried to grow fried potatoes since the Paleolithicum, at least. No luck, as yet.

(sorry, couldn’t resist. We’re well past our usual serious, anyway.)

Last Edited by at 04 Dec 19:43
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter,
how easy is it to clean that juicer? I bought one many years ago, but getting it properly cleaned afterwards was taking longer than the juicing itself…

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message