Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Health / Food / Blood Pressure (merged)

My BP values vary between 16/10 and 13/7, comparing to others I am really dangerously low. What could I do?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

My BP has been 120/80 since ever I remember. Frustrates the HELL out of my flight suregon who is so darn sure he can ground me due to my overweight.bq.

Hopefully you are not feeling sleepy with a BMI over 40.

Last Edited by flybymike at 14 Dec 23:14
Egnm, United Kingdom

My BP values vary between 16/10 and 13/7, comparing to others I am really dangerously low. What could I do?
You could use different units: that’s not compatible with life. You could move to the UK where asymptomatic low blood pressure isn’t recognised as a medical condition in the way it is on much of the continent. My partner has lived in 4 different countries before Britain and it’s always amusing to see how different medical care for the same conditions is in each one.

I think they have only recently proved that smoking causes cancer…
Smoking has known to be unhealthy since at least the 1930s and really, there’s been no doubt whatsoever since the 1950s. It’s an interesting question as to why it was ever considered controversial.

Last Edited by kwlf at 15 Dec 06:25

You could move to the UK where asymptomatic low blood pressure isn’t recognised as a medical condition in the way it is on much of the continent

Here in the UK, you will have problems with your aviation medical if the lower figure is above, from memory, 95. I am sure there is a CAA doc somewhere…

Smoking has known to be unhealthy since at least the 1930s and really, there’s been no doubt whatsoever since the 1950s. It’s an interesting question as to why it was ever considered controversial.

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek Yes, intelligent people have known for decades that smoking was bad for you, but until you work out the exact molecular-level connection, it is always possible for somebody to claim that the (obvious) correlation between smoking and lung cancer is caused by people who are genetically predisposed to developing lung cancer also being genetically predisposed to having a nicotine addiction. It’s a subtle difference, completely lost on most writers in popular media.

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Dec 10:20
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hopefully you are not feeling sleepy with a BMI over 40

Wouldn’t know as I never had a BMI that high. My record is 33…. also way too much but still within EASA Class 2 limits.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

160/95 is the cut off above which you can’t be issued with your medical certificate without further workup and lower readings.

The new EASA guidance requires further investigations/review if the BP is above 140/85

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek

and so was mine

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

160/95 is the cut off above which you can’t be issued with your medical certificate without further workup and lower readings.

That criteria would have stopped me from flying twenty years ago.

EASA continue their relentless campaign to regulate themselves out of business….

Last Edited by flybymike at 15 Dec 21:39
Egnm, United Kingdom

140/85 will surely regulate out something like 80-90%+ of males who hang out on the GA scene. That’s astonishing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes indeed. Sorry, that was in fact the part of Frank’s post which I had meant to quote, not the higher figures!

Last Edited by flybymike at 15 Dec 23:28
Egnm, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message