Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Thanks for your posts!
Really nice airliner you got there. Could you fit a lavatory? Some interiour pix would be nice. Would be interesting what ballpark you’re in compared to a new “souped up” single/multi pistons.

always learning
LO__, Austria

AdamFrisch wrote:

Hopeful for a Xmas release out jail!

You didn’t specify the year!

United Kingdom

AdamFrisch wrote:

Once they get back to work after the holidays, they’ve told me it should take about 2 weeks to get her going. I’ll see it when I believe it, but at least we’re talking weeks and not months anymore. I’ve spent about $30K by now. On par with what I expected.

So Adam, this was in December. Do you have an ETA for when the aircraft will be ready to go?

EGTK Oxford

JasonC – Maybe end of Feb? Still got a trim cable issue. But other than that I think she’s pretty close to start doing ground runs. God knows what will show up then.

Snoopy – she has a potty, actually. But it’s one of those medieval benches you lift and there it is; a bowl in all its glory! You have to lift the bowl out to empty it – it doesn’t go anywhere into a tank or anything. So prob not the best for lose (or any) stools…

I’ve heard the trick is to buy that powder that solidifies urine and makes it odorless. Then the missus can relieve herself, we sprinkle some powder on it and then you just remove a lump of jelly at the next stop.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 09 Feb 15:23

Cat litter comes to mind.

How is the potty separated from the cabin?

If you care would you elaborate on the costs of such a twin turbine compared to i.e. a fully souped up new Cirrus or DA62?

Once it is finished it would be really nice to see the plane… KEMT isnt too far from KLAX from what I see.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t think you could even begin to compare a pressurised turboprop (of any sort, with de-ice and radar and a FL300 ceiling) with an SR22 / DA62 in terms of despatch rate / mission capability / comfort.

Re costs, there are some previous threads e.g. here which contain some cost indications. An SEP will cost a less to run than a twin TP but much depends on who maintains the SEP. Some factory dealers are widely known for taking advantage of a captive market where the majority of new/newish aircraft owners just dump the plane there with a signed blank cheque on the seat… But these types are so far apart it’s like comparing the servicing cost of a Ferrari with that of a VW Golf. We have many threads here on TP maintenance too and e.g. a King Air costs a lot less than a TBM (despite having 2x more engines) because a TBM is by most owners maintained to the full Socata MM which is full of lifed parts and other unneccessary procedures. I was hangared at a KA/TBM shop for 10 years. I am sure Adam is well familiar with the usual gotchas.

I know a bizjet pilot who has been, ahem, closely involved with “toilet management” (he showed me his new CJ4 toilet pumping-out device recently, which saves paying loads of €€€ for the handler doing it – and that is an externally serviceable one! – but he still needs rubber gloves) and I suspect Adam is going to get some “fun moments” before he starts to discreetly indicate to passengers that the toilet is for emergencies only

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy

The potty is under the sideways bench seat opposite of the entrance, right behind the copilot (see picture). As you can see, no enclosure whatsoever, so best suited for people “who you don’t mind smelling the stools from”. A short list, indeed.

As for operating costs I will have to come back to you in about a year or more. I’m aiming to operate her for around $550-650/hr, or around the same as a legacy twin like a 421 or 340 would cost. I have a good friend who operates his 681 (virtually similar model) for around that sum, and that’s inclusive of the 36 month spar inspection he has to comply with, which I don’t. By pure chance, I’ve also managed to find myself in the lowest oil prices since the dawn of time and Jet A1 is regularly down around $2/gal here now. Someone in Texas had paid $1.36/gal the other day, I read on a forum. Means that at this price, she actually costs less in fuel per hour than my Aerostar did. And goes faster. But I’m sure that won’t last…

You’re more than welcome to have a look at her when I get her back.

Adam hope you get many years of happy trouble free ownership, it’s a great airplane and don’t go hankering after a Jet Commander!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Already got the hots for the IAI Westwind II (which is a Jet Commander)!. Just deputize the wife, get her all her ratings, then off we go across the globe. What could possibly go wrong? But in all seriousness – they’re insanely cheap these days. $200K buys you one and they great performance with bulletproof engines in the TFE731’s. 2500nm range, FL410.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 Feb 21:40
Sign in to add your message