Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sucker born every minute - stepping up to an old turbine.

Got it. Still a bit if serious stuff to do. Is your guy doing it full time? Shouldn’t take long to do and fit all that stuff. Or is the problem sourcing the used parts?

EGTK Oxford

Yes, indeed… With the speed that project has apparently made so far, that
list sounds like it’s going to take another 3-4 years before you’ll really fly it…

I wouldn’t sell the Aerostar yet…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But think of all the fuel you are saving!

EGTK Oxford

Ha.

At 70 he basically only works half days on the planes, the rest is spent doing paperwork and on the phone. But his knowledge is worth the extra time it takes. If I took it down to my regular mechanic that I use here, things would move a lot faster (and cost twice as much). They’re great, but I want him to shake her down the first time so I know everything has been done correctly, then I can do the following annuals with them.

That said, all aviation maintenance seems to take 3x as long as you think and cost about 2x as much. It’s uncanny. And that’s nothing until you decide to do panel upgrades or repaint the damn things. They will be gone for months and months.

Here’s a real nice Garmin G950 installation Eagle Creek does on the later models. Only $350K to do….

G950 Panel upgrade Turbo Commander

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 07 Jun 22:12

That said, all aviation maintenance seems to take 3x as long as you think and cost about 2x as much. It’s uncanny.

That is basically true for Legacy spam-cans, unless they have been meticulously maintained over the years.

Clearly, YOUR experience in buying 3 “antique” bottom dollar, “bargin basement” twins is a reflection of that.

From what I’ve read about your Aerostar, at the end of the day you paid N, then spent N X 2, flew it less than 100H, now FS @ N net .

The old adage “Pay me now, or pay me later, it’s your choice !” applies very well here

Last Edited by Michael at 08 Jun 06:37
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

That would be true Michael, except I also got 100hrs for “free” out of the old engines. That’s the upside of buying run outs. But this is something we all share with piston engine airplanes – there’s no way of recouping the money spent on mechanics or avionics. The best deal one can ever do is to buy a run out and keep running it.

But if you have to spend, pend the money on bling, not on mechanics. New paint, new interior, new avionics. You get more of it back that way. Don’t spend it on mechanics. People buy airplanes like they buy houses – with their eyes.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 09 Jun 00:44

Well, my comment was directed to the “all aviation maintenance seems to take 3x as long as you think and cost about 2x as much.” part.

In other words, a well maintained and newer plane is going to be more PREDICTABLE than a run-out dog.

But if you have to spend, pend the money on bling, not on mechanics. New paint, new interior, new avionics. You get more of it back that way. Don’t spend it on mechanics. People buy airplanes like they buy houses – with their eyes.

Alas that is very true, I am constantly amazed to see owners pour the big money into the bling-bling and ignore alot of basic airworthiness items.

As a matter of fact, I’m starting to run away from these potential clients

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

a well maintained and newer plane is going to be more PREDICTABLE than a run-out dog

As a very general comment, not on any specific aircraft, I’d say that it hugely depends on how sure you are of the history. And what exactly can you be sure about? Basically only stuff which happened (or, in cases of damage, didn’t happen) under your ownership or direct knowledge.

If I got a penny every time I have heard (privately; people rarely talk about this openly) some tale where somebody bought a plane and found

• the maintenance record is largely fiction (missing logbook inserts seem to be the second oldest profession)
  • the seller lies about everything he can get away with
  • where the buyer didn’t do a proper prebuy, even more of the above two points

then I would be flying a good used TBM700

A newer (say under 10-15 years) plane should be more predictable in that the mechanicals should have less wear even if it has seen very little maintenance especially lubrication but you can still get avionics issues which can be just as pricey. On my TB20, which I bought new, the in-warranty avionics bill was GBP 50k-100k. Much of the panel was replaced.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems that New Planes (ie; under warranty) , PREDICTABLY have rather large un-scheduled repair bills

It’s a “new-born mortality” rate thing.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Adam, is there a zero fuel weight restriction?

Yes there is. 8500lbs out of a MTOW of 9400lbs.

Sign in to add your message