Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windy

Just to add a data point. Today I cross PUMAL which is close to the La Cerdanya airport close to the Spanish/French border. At FL200 there was some good shaking. Wind was blowing along the mountains to the South. I waited for my descent until I was well clear of those mountains. The autopilot did bank left and right a few times significantly. A passenger would not have liked it. It was like a bumpy road.

Frequent travels around Europe

RobertL18C wrote:

The FAA put out some useful short films

The Staggerwing apparently had an advantage at high altitude… Staggerwing Database

“6760 D17S N28A 196.-..-.. supercharged for mapping work at 31,000ft for the US Geological Survey”

Looks like it’s still flying in Colorado, per today’s FAA records.

I was taught 1000 ft clearance for every 10 kts wind for ‘normal’ light winds. If the wind were 25 kts or greater I’d want to be higher than that. Any reports of moderate to severe turbulence and I’ll be nowhere nearby.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Nov 18:04

Last Edited by JasonC at 25 Apr 22:06
EGTK Oxford

Is that your own plane?

Always keep the horizon in view!
LSZH

Wow.. Into the jetstream. Turbulent?
On a day like that I’d probably think: ‘cancel flight plan, let’s go where the wind blows me’

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Looks like you were on a 270nm direct too :)

Is there an altitude above which the wind typically dies down? Possibly most relevant to those light jets with ceilings of 45000ft+.

I was trying to reason it out in my head the other day. Of course a low pressure stream of air could still be moving with a high velocity but then the absolute pressure differentials must be lower up high in the atmosphere so would possibly be less prone to generating such high velocities.

No turbulence at all actually. Wind started easing from 340 up.

EGTK Oxford

EGTK Oxford

Any chance to outclimb the wind?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Yep, was 70 knots at FL430.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message