Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windy

Conventional. Crab then moving to wing low opposite rudder. Just with low landing gear you need to be careful not to touch a wing tip. Max demonstrated xwind in the Mustang is 25 knots.

Aircraft with wing pods are more susceptible to pod strike.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Nov 22:35
EGTK Oxford

For the A330/340 Airbus recommends the crabbed down to the runway and aligning the nose with the rwy heading before touchdown. In strong xwinds it is even acceptable to touch down in a crab of max. 5 degrees.

Just stuff i learned from their manuals …

I always crab because the wind is so much stronger higher up than in the flare, so flying the final wing-down is just pointless because you are compensating for wind which you won’t be subjected to at the point where it actually matters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I agree with Peter, but I do find it psychologically beneficial to have some cross-control on short final, especially with a quartering tailwind. I find it wakes up my feet ready for the real work after touch-down.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I find it wakes up my feet ready for the real work after touch-down.

I too… I do a brief “straighten the plane” thing on short final, just to reinforce in my head which foot I need to be using initially, before/during the flare

Administrator

In a light plane when the xwind is really strong a crab will carry the risk that the wind will blow you away from the centerline the moment you straighten the airplane.

In these situations a cross controlled touchdown on one wheel will work much better. The wind speed does normally not change from 100 ft AGL to the ground.

The wind speed does normally not change from 100 ft AGL to the ground.

That’s not what I find at all. If you have say 40kt at 100ft, you will likely have 20-30kt at the 10m pole at which the anemometer is installed, and about 15kt at the aircraft as it is touching down.

Administrator

Ok, maybe that can happen … although I have never experienced it. I think it’s an extreme example- But if you do the final 100 ft cross controlled you can still easily correct for that change.

It’s 4 months ago that I landed in a 80 degree 30 kt crosswind. Looked out the left window on final … but i am sure it would have blown me away had I straightened the plane and not cross controlled.

I always ‘crab’ my Arrow. Keep the wings level and ‘aim off’. It seems much easier to ‘see’ the drift and thus get a better picture of what you’re experiencing – drift wise that is.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 20 Nov 09:42
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Also understand X-controls feels funny for any PAX’s that might be in the back.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message