Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is your English good? I'll tell you for 351 €

Jan ..

The errors you mention are from the website of atc-comm. I am pretty sure that the dutch text is much better. Having said that the thing that I like is that a highly qualified institute with a large global perspective as they receive audio from all over the world is a far better judge than some overly eager in room examiner .. Or by the same token .. A local Examiner just got his own lpe6 and is a “friendly” examiner.

As for errors. I was born in japan and lived there fro three years. My mum being greek/english and my father dutch, my first language was english. Only after we moved to holland did I start to learn dutch. I was raised bilangual .. My mother would speak english to me and I would reply in dutch. I can assure you that my grammar in both dutch and english is terrible.

However .. LPE is not about queens english or aviation english. It is about your ability to communicate .. also in strange situations .. With others in english.

Needles to say I got LPE6.

I am always amazed that on this forum everybody seems to moan about the UK caa’s goldplating and or examiners .. When you can do everything in France or Holland in apparently much more realistic settings. Ditto for this discussion. The whole concept of LPE failed totally as it was meant for the Air China examples but I bet you that that guy has his LPE6 in his pocket now .. Somehow.. In the meantime for some ga pilots LPE is a bit of a burden as they got lpe4 or 5.

I did my LPE in 2009 when it was rather new and the horror stories about extremely strict examiners was talk of the day. I liked the way atc-comm worked with relta. I did it face to face with the lady asking the questions and it was taped. I can imagine that you need a webcam for visual confirmation. Lpe is about audio only.

If you have a frendly examiner who will give you a 6 by all means do. If you are having problems .. Go for this route and get a more objective opinion. Who knows your english may really be below 6 .. I truly believe that this route offers the most balanced opinions.

Having said that I remember a story Thom Hughston told me when he was once in the Italy for some 61.75s. He had 2 Italian guys who wanted to fly n but only one was doing all the talking. Thom noticed this and singled out the other guy .. He could hardly speak a word of english. Needles to say he did not get his 61.75.

Unfortunately the standard of written English is pretty poor in the present-day UK.

Classroom discipline is mostly gone in State schools. In the “paid for” schools it remains but only because they “encourage” kids they don’t like to leave.

Most “modern” adults live on the Iphone (etc) and in a world of banal one-line comms. Not many read books and when they do it tends to be trashy novels.

A few years ago I had some correspondence with the Chief Exec of a “private bank” (Cater Allen) where he could not even spell his job title. Actually that one was quite funny because they kicked me out (no reason, but probably because they didn’t like a complaint I made) while another exec (who also could not write more than 1 line correctly) upgraded my account to some fancy-named one

So it’s no wonder Backpacker can take the piss out of that piece

Back to ELP: it seems obvious on the radio that in Europe ATC (in some countries) are in a much greater need of ELP than pilots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, I believe Cicero gave a similar speech around 50 BC.

I think the same stuff is found on Egyptian tablets (seriously, though without the Iphone part)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The point is (I’d hope) that there wasn’t a Bureau of inept Egypt-Speakers/Writers back then that charged you the equivalent of 350€ just to give you a piece of paper stating that you were able to speak the language (to their level? Great…)

EDDS, Germany

For 149 online …

I am pretty sure that the dutch text is much better.

Took a brief look out of sheer curiosity.

Wat gebeurd er als ik een vraag verkeerd beantwoord? ==> gebeurt

Hoe komt de ICAO score tot stand? ==> ICAO-score

more examples available

Not enormities, the text certainly remains readable, but from someone making money about languages I expect perfect language – how else can they be taken serious? Would you ever buy an aircraft from a distributor flying an obviously non-airworthy plane?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

how else can they be taken serious?

How else can they be taken serious*ly*?

Sorry, just being pedantic – and bored and annoyed because there was a monster morning rush hour predicted due to the nuclear summit. I had to be at my destination by 9am so I spent last night in a hotel nearby. Only to find that it’s just about the quietest Monday morning in the Netherlands imaginable.

Oh well, at least I got to sleep late this morning.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 24 Mar 08:01

That’s the danger of being pedantic, of course, like I did: always a risk of being overclassed. Of course you are right.
BTW you’ll have your fill of traffic jams yet: seems one mr b.o. is hanging around the Randstad these days – before coming down south here.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It was my turn today. 351 € for a cup
of coffee and half an hour of small talk.

If you’re fluent in English, you can make it (in Gemany that is).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message