Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is your English good? I'll tell you for 351 €

When I did my LPT, I had to do complete rather detailed exam. Afterwards the audio recordings were sent to an University professor accredited by AustroControl, who had to decide if I was worthy of Level 6.

Would Schwarzenegger get Level 6?

Yes. He would be paying more than 400 euro’s, though.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If not, he’ll maybe visit the professor with the M47 tank he bought from Austrian army surplus stocks some years ago .

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

No, this one is even better than Air China

Ben

Guys, please

The concept of lpe was a good one however the execution is/was terrible.
The carriers all gave their pilots a 6 and were done for.. But it was with exactly this group in mind that lpe was introduced .. Air china is a good example.

What happened was that a bunch of overly eager english fluent people started to take the exams but were very strict.

At that time I did my exams with atc-comm (http://www.atc-comm.com) and what I liked about them is that they tape your session and it is then send to some university or institute in australia (Relta I believe they are called) who judge it and compare it with many other tapes from around the world. This way you get a far more objective result.

As we are EASA now I strongly advise anybody with an issue to go here. Many dedicated lpe examiner tends to be overly strict..

Great example of the futility of introducing safety legislation to influence those with lack of common sense or conscience.

The people/organisations that are the problem tend to remain a problem. Everybody else ends up with higher cost and/or tedium.

Biggin Hill

As we are EASA now I strongly advise anybody with an issue to go here.

Be careful though. From what I’ve heard is that within EASA land, the various *AAs do not have procedures in place to recognise/register LPE exams that were done by an institute that is not certified by them, but by another *AA within EASA land. If you want your bases covered, get confirmation from the *AA__ in writing__ that the certificate you will eventually gain is acceptable to them.

I have been in discussion with the UK CAA for at least two weeks now about an LPE exam I did with a Dutch language institute (air-comms) and which I already registered with the CAA against my JAR-FCL PPL in 2011. They don’t explain why, but they won’t accept this and want me to do the LPE exam (either with a UK examiner, or with a language institute that is recognised by the British Council) all over again.

(Fortunately one of the forumites ‘round here is willing to help me out, but that’s something that should have been completely unnecessary.)

Like Commander, I don’t object to the idea of the LPE per se. But, yes, the implementation, particularly by the CAA, leaves a lot to be desired. They have a procedure for registering your LPE 6 if you gained one through the use of a UK examiner. But if that option was not open to you and you used any of the other JAR-FCL or EASA Accepted Means of Compliance, the CAA is completely at a loss about what to do with that. They add the evidence to your file but don’t act on it. And you only find out about this years later. And when you question them about this, all you get is the knee-jerk response “you have to do an LPE exam with a UK examiner”.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 20 Mar 08:06

They don’t explain why,

I think its here para 6.11 Table 39

Approval of Language Assessment Bodies: Initial fee £3570; Annual fee £2550

Wow. That is a lot of money. Do other countries charge about the same, for these kinds of approvals? I can now understand why LPE exams can go as high as 350 euros or so. I must be lucky having “only” paid 160 euros or so, so far.

I got mine done (for free) when the CAA examiner doing the initial IRT discovered, after the test, that I am not certified to speak English So, yeah, another form to fill in….

I am pretty sure the guy I use for IR revals (who is a CRE/IRR and an FE capable of initial PPL skills tests) can do that form also. If that works, he could do your PPL reval and sign the form at the same time. He works out of Shoreham, and other places. But I don’t think filling in this form requires a flight, does it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message