Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portugal imposes carbon tax on GA

Peter wrote:

Probably because Portugal is a long way from most of the action.

I planned Portugal, Madeira and back home via Morocco this autumn but I think I’ll change the route skipping Portugal. Maybe just Morocco via Spain and then to Menorca/Mallorca on a way back home.

Last Edited by Emir at 08 May 13:37
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Leaving the African continent I stopped at LPCS for fuel… but that was about 3 years ago. Remember paying in the region of €20, or less, for my >1T SEP.
Good old times…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I hear of a new carbon tax from 1 July in Portugal, aimed at evil planet-destroying bizjets and their millionaire passengers. This tax is reportedly related to aircraft seats and distance travelled – but no exemption for smaller or non-turbine types. The suggested formula would impose at least €80 tax on a 4-seater flying a minimal distance.

I hope to have someone here tell me this is not true …..

[ @Bluebeard most moved to existing thread ]

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I read the law and my understand is that the tax is €2 per person/trip.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Do you know how they intend to collect this tax? Could easily cost a (huge) multiple of €2

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart not clear for non residents. I need to revisit the original text. Having said that, the airfield could apply that fee maybe.

I’ve sent a few messages to a few friends to get some clarification.

Last Edited by Fernando at 13 Jul 17:16
EGSU, United Kingdom

@lmsl1967 wrote:

lmsl196708-May-23 12:1727
Just spoke with a group of aviators in Portugal and they going to file a judicial injunction to stop the government regulation on that taxation. AOPA in Portugal is dead. Crowdfunding will be the option to pay the lawyers.

*LPCS*___Italic___, Yager knows better about the taxes, from what I know, handling as become mandatory.

Sorry, I only noticed this now. See below – this was quoted back at the end of April 2023.

Airport taxes: (LPCS / Cascais Tires Airport)

EACH LANDING – 7,94€
TERMINAL CONTROL – 43,44€
PARKING PER DAY – 8,90€ ( example arrival today leaving tomorrow 2X 8,90€ )
CONCESSION FEE – 66,16€
PAX FEE PER PAX – 11,05€
CARBON FEE PER PAX – 2€
HANDLING – 110€ ( 1 MOV IS ARRIVAL AND LEAVE)
10% DISBURSEMENT
+23% Portuguese Tax if no EU Vat number

Last Edited by Yeager at 19 Jul 11:55
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Fernando wrote:

For IFR pilots is ok(ish) as air traffic control will route you. But you’ll be limited to just a few airports with instrument approaches.

If you are a VFR pilot, then you need to check (daily) which airspace is restricted. Portugal is a small country, but despite our airforce having a tiny fleet, they take a vast chunk of the most interesting airspace.

I will chip in here. From my experience flying in Portugal, these always active Restricted Areas are mostly (almost always) open for flying within – though you obviously need a suitably equipped aircraft and pilot licence to do so. The most annoying part about these Restricted Areas is that you have to obtain clearances for everything you want to do, but then again, it´s rare that you don´t get approval as requested.
I agree, it´s an over-reach of regulations, and it´s typical for a country like Portugal to embrace this type of bureaucracy! Lovely country, room for improvements (like most countries!).

Last Edited by Yeager at 19 Jul 12:04
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Sorry, I only noticed this now. See below – this was quoted back at the end of April 2023. Airport taxes: (LPCS / Cascais Tires Airport)
EACH LANDING – 7,94€
TERMINAL CONTROL – 43,44€
PARKING PER DAY – 8,90€ ( example arrival today leaving tomorrow 2X 8,90€ )
CONCESSION FEE – 66,16€
PAX FEE PER PAX – 11,05€
CARBON FEE PER PAX – 2€
HANDLING – 110€ ( 1 MOV IS ARRIVAL AND LEAVE)
10% DISBURSEMENT
+23 % Portuguese tax

Although the total bill is very hefty, this just mentions €2 carbon tax per pax. Upstream in this thread we talked about a formula which brings this tax to much higher levels. I just saw this, valid from July 1st. It was on a UL forum, don’t know the accuracy of it. The example is for a 20 km flight of 2 persons in a UL.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is this tax supposed to be applied only to General Aviation? It would totally kill any CAT if applied there, e.g. for a 500 km flight, the tax would be more than €1000/pax. Or is the “coefficient” lower for CAT?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message