Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carbon offset in Austria

Just checking if the attached is not a hoax? Some years since I visited Austria but around 8€ /litre is pushing it.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Just checking if the attached is not a hoax? Some years since I visited Austria but around 8€ /litre is pushing it.

It is around 8€ / 100 litre, or equivalently around 8¢/litre, hundred times less.

Last Edited by lionel at 06 Oct 17:20
ELLX

@lionel phew 😅

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

t is around 8€ / 100 litre, or equivalently around 8¢/litre, hundred times less.

That must be a hoax. Or a mistake.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No. Same amount as for road fuels in Austria.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

No. Same amount as for road fuels in Austria.

I don’t believe they pay €0.08/litre for road fuel in Austria.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Oct 19:21

Believe it or not, since Oct 1 a co2 tax of 30€/t has to be paid, which works out to 0.08€/L.

Similar in Germany, btw (25€/t)

EDM_, Germany

I don’t believe they pay €0.08/litre for road fuel in Austria.

That is the newly introduced Austrian CO2 tax, which comes on top of everything else.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

That is the newly introduced Austrian CO2 tax, which comes on top of everything else.

Ok! But that’s not what the screenshot from BP said. They said the “net price” of AVGAS and JET A-1 would be in the €0.07-0,08/litre range.

Anyway, if that’s the new tax amount then it is hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things.

In Austria we have a new tax for CO2 on fuels and other carbon intensive things that don’t have to buy CO2-certificates for production anyway (steel, cement, etc.).
This year it will be 30€/kg of CO2 which translates to about 7c/l before other taxes and the plan is to add another 10€/kg of CO2 every year for 2 (or 3) years and then just set the tax per kg of CO2 to the actual price for CO2 certificates on the free market (no idea how you would make a steady tax based on a daily price for a certain certificate..).
This will of course add to inflation because you have to add this cost to absolutely everything in Austria since everything gets moved at one point or another and that needs energy of some sort and that produces or offsets CO2 (there is no free lunch with energy and CO2 – with the burning of wood/pellets/etc having the most CO2 output per kWh).

Austria
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message