Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and family pressure

Peter wrote:

You will be dead so won’t care but prob99 she will be the executor of your estate

That is certainly not what always happens, it doesn’t happen all that often in fact. I have just been through 3 years of the most idiotic times ever. My mother died in 2019. Just out of the blue, we always thought she would live forever (prob99 outlive my father at least). My father was alive, but he was already far gone senile, meaning no longer legally responsible. They had written no will or contract saying what they would like happening in case one should die and the other was no longer legally responsible (a very common situation these days).

Then what happens (at least in Norway), is that a legal department at the officials take over. They handle stuff exclusively on behalf of my father, and in the most basic square headed way ever. In this case it meant all the assets were frozen, with little or nothing we could do about it. I was appointed a “guardian” (I think the English word is). What we could do was to maintain stuff and sell smaller stuff (cars, boats and so on), but we could not do anything about the estate and so on, other than selling it outright. All the stuff that was sold, was put on a closed account until my father died, so no real reason to sell larger stuff. The rational behind it is that a person that is no longer legally sane cannot express his will (in a legal sense). Understandable, but insanely irritating when everybody in the family “knew” what he really wanted, and he certainly would never want this. Not that long ago nobody cared what old senile people wanted, or cared if they had any rights. This changed 20-30 years ago, for better or worse. Mostly for the worse if preparations aren’t done up front.

We had to engage a lawyer, simply to make sense of any of it. There’s a lot of practical issues also. Both my father and their children inherit from my mother, but it is all mixed up between all of us. In essence, everything was put on hold, frozen, nothing could be done. With the lawyer we managed to do some stuff, organize some of it, without me and my brother and sisters killing each other and without being put in jail or whatever.

The most irritating thing was that a lot of focus have been put on this in the media for several years. It won’t happen to me/us syndrome I guess. A common will won’t resolve this, you have to make a special legally binding contract. My wife and I did that ASAP, and so did sisters and my brother. It has to be done while you are sane and a lawyer has to witness that you are.

The worst thing that can happen is certainly not that you are not thirsty on your death bed. The worst thing that can happen is you will go senile. Your wife dies, and your children are irritated/sorry for you for making their lives extremely problematic. All the time you have little or no clue what is going on.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Then what happens (at least in Norway), is that a legal department at the officials take over. They handle stuff exclusively on behalf of my father, and in the most basic square headed way ever.

Same here. If someone becomes incapable of managing their affairs and has not granted power of attorney to someone then the ‘Office of the Public Guardian’ steps in and manages things on a ‘computer says no’ basis. You really don’t want this to happen.

My father is very aware of this and some years ago he and my mother granted power of attorney to my brother and me. We don’t expect to need it for some time yet, but it is nice to know that when the time comes there is none of this hassle and we just step in to manage their affairs.

Last Edited by Graham at 17 Feb 14:25
EGLM & EGTN

From this thread, I read that either the whole family flies or the pilot stops flying.

Peter wrote:

the best relationships are where the two people have their own “projects”, while having enough common interests to enjoy time together.

Except with kids, you have very little time for being together and no own project

Frans, I thought just like you a couple years ago. You will see when you are there.
MD, Udo and I don’t want to scare you but that’s what most dads live more of less (how the baby sleeps make a difference).

Someone mentioned maybe I lost some interest in flying. I can tell you not
We just have our priorities crystal clear : raising our child in our values and faith, visiting the family more than twice a year, cooking every meal, worshipping every sunday are non-negotiables .

Your lifestyle just reflects what’s most important to you !

LFOU, France

Raising children with open eyes and minds is much more useful and beneficial.

Last Edited by Emir at 20 Feb 16:27
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Jujupilote wrote:

From this thread, I read that either the whole family flies or the pilot stops flying.

Certainly a lot of truth in that observation! It will be especially valid for families with children aged 0 to 15 and where both partners keep working after the children are born.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Nonsense, take them along and go somewhere nice. It just takes a bit more planning, and after a nice flight you realise it was all worth it.

or
https://youtu.be/wneYk3iZk2w

Last Edited by Bobo at 20 Feb 19:47
EHTE, Netherlands

Bobo wrote:

Nonsense, take them along and go somewhere nice. It just takes a bit more planning, and after a nice flight you realise it was all worth it.

Affirmative.

It’s really hard to top seeing your own kids looking outside the plane you’re piloting…or having one of them with you asking questions during a booooooooring flight.

@Bobo very nice video and lovely daughters that you have.

Germany

Thank you @UdoR! They have been joining me for flights since they were babies. We have been to France, Denmark, Austria and Germany. My wife doesn’t enjoy flying at all and she is scared to tag along, but she is totally fine with the girls flying with me.

EHTE, Netherlands

It will be especially valid for families with children aged 0 to 15 and where both partners keep working after the children are born

The logistics of flying with family are complicated but again it’s no different than full Sunday with whole family by car to nearby lake, forest, church…

Don’t take this as critic, I am wondering what “those families” do with their kids on weekends? does the father take his kids out of the house from sunrise to sunset the whole day leaving the mother her Saturday then he can have his own Sunday?

On kids age, we (Me & Mrs) are planing to stop flying when children gets to 18 years old, the plan is to do some travelling in places where GA is not practical, in the meantime, I can’t stand taking care of screaming of babies and kids at home, I prefer WOT & max RPM at FL50, even when not flying, I get them to spend whole day in near hangars or airfields rather than sitting in front of TV

The tough part of pre-flight is changing nappies,

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Feb 20:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Bobo wrote:

take them along and go somewhere nice

I liked the inflight headset repair 🪛 😀

Do you know what you flew over here?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message