Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

That was in the 1980s so they are probably tracking them all today.

What do you think Orion and Poseidon aircraft are doing? They can also shoot them down, or up ? I think they use some magnetic sensors somehow.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There may well be a new aspect of the “war in Europe” scenario coming up, which may cause some interesting sidelines. Serbia appears to position military personel and material on the Kosova border. If they were to try a similar thing than Russia and annex the Serbian majority lands in the Northeast of Kosovo, things are gonna get very hot very fast, seeing that Kosovo is still under NATO supervision. Serbia has in the past often enough set it’s sight on Russa as an ally. If they were to ask Russia for help, there is no saying what would happen.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Russia can barely cope with the one front they have. They aren’t going to be opening up another in Serbia.

Andreas IOM

Nothing special will happen in Kosovo. Kosovo’s government implements measures for state to become fully functional on its whole territory. And Serbian arm threatening is just a show for Serbian internal political scene.

Last Edited by Emir at 13 Dec 00:09
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Anyway, no archduke visits to Sarajevo currently, please.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Serbia appears to position military personel and material on the Kosova border. If they were to try a similar thing than Russia and annex the Serbian majority lands in the Northeast of Kosovo, things are gonna get very hot very fast, seeing that Kosovo is still under NATO supervision.

AFAIK there are still a few Bundeswehr soldiers in Kosovo. 70 to be exact, as part of KFOR. KFOR in total has 3700 soldiers from 27 nations, including from lots of countries Serbia doesn’t want to mess with such as the US, Hungary or Austria. Official Source

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

This is an outstanding video on this topic. Has to be watched start to end.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Considering he admitted having wrongly predicted Russia/Ukraine in the very resent past (as almost everyone else), what did he actually say? Russia, Belarus and Ukraine has since beginning of time been tight. Sure there has been wars about who will “rule them all”, but so has it been everywhere else also. What’s odd this time is that we are soon in the year 2023, not 1023 Not that odd when it comes to Russia perhaps, but still.

He started saying Russia had never been a part of Europe. I almost stopped it there, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. One has to wonder how this is going to end. A full war in Europe is apparently not such an unlikely scenario as we perhaps like to believe. That’s another thing Stoltenberg also said a week ago. He said they are doing all they can to prevent this from escalating to a full war in Europe. A bit strange he said that, for several reasons, but mostly because it’s not clear to me how this is going to happen (but then I’m not an historian or sitting in the middle of it ) One thing is perhaps Ukraine not winning, another thing might be Putin using nuclear weapons? Within a year we probably will find out.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

in the desired “few days”
This is something that you are stating repeatedly, but I must have missed that. Do you have any references to EU leaders having desired Ukraine to surrender quickly?

Catching up on this thread, I came across this question. So yes, Boris did clearly state that

France (Macron) was in denial that Russia would invade.
Germany (Scholz) said that if Russia invades, it would be a catastrophe for them and it would be better if it were all over quickly – ie, Ukraine folds.
Itay (Draghi) said that a Italy was dependent on Russian fossil fuel imports, they couldn’t support Britain’s position, helping Ukraine.

Here’s a video showing him saying exactly that:

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1595290357788733441?s=20&t=v3RlS7PmlZJdm0frIuLVQQ

Had Britain not left the EU, no doubt the EU would have tried to stop UK aid going to Ukraine….

EDL*, Germany

LeSving wrote:

A full war in Europe is apparently not such an unlikely scenario as we perhaps like to believe. That’s another thing Stoltenberg also said a week ago. He said they are doing all they can to prevent this from escalating to a full war in Europe.

That is exactly what all the Ukraine crisis has been about. If it were not, then most probably nobody would have cared much about Russia taking Ukraine, but as the next targets would be NATO States (Baltics). That would involve NATO and therefore all of Europe.

Additonally, I simply don’t trust the Russians on the subject of Germany. They have not forgotten WW2 and Putin in particular does not like the fact that they lost the GDR (which was his “home” for several years, hence he speaks German fluently). I would not have been surprised that with a success in Ukraine he would have tried to reverse that bit of history as well.

LeSving wrote:

One thing is perhaps Ukraine not winning, another thing might be Putin using nuclear weapons?

That is still very much a possibility. He is probably now regretting not going in much more forcefully in the very beginning, i.e. taking out Kiew with a city buster right on Feb24 and then tell the rest of Ukraine, fold or you’re next. In this situation, NATO would have been unable to do anything at all. But he badly miscalculated by assuming that Ukraine would welcome Russians as liberators. How he got that idea, nobody knows.

LeSving wrote:

Within a year we probably will find out.

Possibly.

Steve6443 wrote:

Germany (Scholz) said that if Russia invades, it would be a catastrophe for them and it would be better if it were all over quickly – ie, Ukraine folds

If he said that in this form, he has since done a remarkable 180 on it.

But I do recall that in the first days of the war (or even shortly before the invasion) the US and others offered Seleski a way out of the country, which he refused. The question is, had he and his cabinet taken the offer, would there have been war at all? Or would Putin simply have put a puppet government in place and that was that? Quite a likely scenario too.

All in all, it can be said that all of NATO has badly miscalculated what Putin is capable of. So why this should change for the future is beyond me. And that involves nukes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message