Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Energy crisis & inflation : will GA survive in Europe ?

BeechBaby wrote:

I may consider a move to Estonia if things are that bright and prosperous

The neighbours are a bit worrying though

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Silvaire wrote:

but I imagine renting at KSNA would be at the high end for the US

Indeed. @Airborne_Again, you must have hit one of the most expensive places for rentals. While prices have recently gone up, mainly due to fuel and insurance, they are nowhere near the levels that are quoted in this thread. What you guys quote for 172s are prices for twins here. And even then they’d be expensive ! The only outlier is the SR22 which tends to rent for a lot, but AFAICT this has to do with insurance costs, these birds are hard to insure in a non-owned environment.

PS: if you go further afield, away from the coastal metroplexes, prices drop dramatically. A friend of mine recently moved temporarily to Idaho and rents a C182 for $85/hour. Wet.

Silvaire wrote:

I imagine renting at KSNA would be at the high end for the US

I have rented from there, C172 it was expensive but they know what FAA61.75 means
CFI scheduled my rental checkout at 10.30pm, since then I lost my fear of night flying, over water flying and built areas

He skipped power off field landing for obvious reasons but cured lot of phobia in one single flight !

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Mar 18:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

A friend of mine recently moved temporarily to Idaho and rents a C182 for $85/hour. Wet.

Im not sure if that storytelling mode actually helps. In times of internet rental prices even on the other side of the pond are quite transparent. Both in California as well as in Florida it is hard to find a decent 182 south of 200USD/hr. (and btw. my impression is that in the US this is often based on hobbs time).

A C182 that is decently maintained and adequately insured even in the US can not recover its cost at 85 USD/hr. wet in a rental operation. Yes, there are always people (on both sides of the Atlantic) in very special situations that rent out their plane privately to friends below cost to get it in the air. But this is nether a fair comparison.

Germany

rents a C182 for $85/hour. Wet.

Well, in my experience, low priced US rentals tend, or used to be, in sorry state. Rented a 201 out of Bracket La Verne (KPOC), barely able to maintain PTA at Big Bear. Rented a Cherokee 6 out of KFLL, worn tire blew during the check-out ride. Same aircraft had to be fixed after every landing on our way to Guadeloupe. Rented a Saratoga out of Republic, Long Island, had to remove a bird‘s nest from the engine, and you’d better wore gloves to operate the radios since they were covered with mold, as was most of the interior.
Many more stories in store for anyone sharing a beer

Generally speaking, rental cheapies are in a better state in EU than the US. Aircraft are a normal everyday transportation mean in the US, and as such are mostly considered a normal commodity, akin to cars. Flying being more „exclusive“ in EU has aircraft being in a better shape, all being relative.

Last Edited by Dan at 01 Mar 18:46
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

Im not sure if that storytelling mode actually helps.

I asked him several time, as I couldn’t believe it either. This figure is correct, albeit certainly an outlier. In any case, none of the EU figures bandied about here come even close to what we pay here. As for Hobbs – you are correct, that’s the norm in rental in the US.

While on checkout, I could not close the Cessna door, the CFI asked to slam it and I was not slamming hard, he decided to take the lead and slam it really heard that my stomach shrinked, it did not close, I joked if we should switch mags & fuel OFF before trying another one? we had 15min laugh inside the cockpit before trying again

We flew that C177 with one door closed all the time, to my surprise all the avionics worked fine, I was not expecting the neddles to keep up after so much slamming? the only glitch, doors were leaking everywhere as we flew VFR through a big patch of rain, lovely memories…

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Mar 20:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Energy Crisis

Is that the same energy crisis that was caused by

1. Angela Merkel who shut down serviceable ZERO CARBON Nuclear Power stations due to a tidal wave in Japan (in spite of German Power plants not being at any risk of being flooded as they have a different geology)
  2. And the same German Government who had to burn dirty lignite coal to replace the clean energy not being generated and who increased carbon emissions
  3. Successive UK leaders who decided not to extract clean gas from shale but chose to follow misinformation from Russia Today – then import the same gas from Russia
  4. And due to Green Taxes, shut down energy intensive industries and end up buying the goods from China with lower environmental standards
  5. And listen to the mal-educated “Doom Goblin” Greta who skipped school to guide policy

And all of these Governments that chose not to be self sufficient in reliable low carbon energy and instead divert huge sums of money to despotic regimes in both Russia and the Arab States

Yup – that’s it.

United Kingdom

^^^^^ This

Ibra wrote:

I have rented from there, C172 it was expensive but they know what FAA61.75 means

Indeed. And their Head of Training was a DPE…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message