Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFAC Calais

Hi guys,

Can I ask for a second opinion on some NOTAMs for Calais.
I’d planned on a flight there tomorrow morning (weather not looking too hopeful at present!).

From reading the VAC, it’s pretty clear that if there is no air traffic service then it’s French only RT. I don’t have any endorsement to use French on the radio.

There is a NOTAM number B2902/15 which is valid from 13 June to 23 June which says

AFIS NOT AVBL

There is a _subsequent_*Bold* NOTAM number B3009 valid from 12 June to 12 August saying

AFIS HOURS: TUE-SAT 0800-1500
SUN MON NOT PROVIDED
EXTENSION UPON PPR 24H BEFORE 1300:
MAIL. AFIS.CALAIS-DUNKERQUE(AT)AGGLO-CALAISIS.FR
FAX. 33(0)321 35 22 66
TEL. 33(0)638 63 50 17

I would interpret that to mean that even though the second NOTAM came out later, it’s still just the general times, and the first one giving a shorter date period (which is wholly contained within the period of the second NOTAM) takes precedence. In other words, the second one is the general case, and the first one the case for 13 to 23 June.

In other words I can no longer go there tomorrow without French language?

Looking at the AIP entry I can’t see anything that prohibits non-radio arrivals.

A bit annoying given that I was in contact with them earlier this week and they confirmed they were happy to accept me tomorrow, but I suppose there are always unforeseen circumstances!

Looks like if I don’t get an answer early in the morning, it will be a replan to Le Touquet (who only require 2 hrs notice).

Anyway, it would be useful to have a second opinion. Am I reading that NOTAM series correctly, or should the later one override the earlier one irrespective of the more general dates?

Thanks
Colm

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 12 Jun 20:50
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Looking at the AIP entry I can’t see anything that prohibits non-radio arrivals

Hmm. If I look at the AIP, I see:

AD reserved for radio equipped aircraft.
(no please don’t say "I do have a radio, I just won’t use it).

In other words, the second one is the general case, and the first one the case for 13 to 23 June.

Correct.

I understand they currently have staffing issues. Probably that only AFISO went on sick leave.

I don’t have any endorsement to use French on the radio.

And once again: you don’t need that if you do have English proficiency in your license. You must be able to speak and understand French though, since radio is " French only".

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Jun 21:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you. I missed the “AD reserved for radio equipped aircraft” bit. Probably reading too fast!

Thanks for the second opinion!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As to L2K I am not sure what you are referring to with regards notice. Practically they require no notice at all – I was there just this week and gave them about an hours notice and know they would be fine if you just pitched up (while I appreciate on a IFP even from Lyd you would be giving them maybe 30 minutes with some quick foot work :-) )

Never had an issue with Calais either – they are very good at answering the ’phone, and maybe a quick call if you are concerned and good to go.

Here – almost 2 years ago.

The little notice still sits on the desk at LFAT but nobody seems to care. I have never emailed that address myself. I guess they use the inbound flight plans to see if anybody “interesting” is flying in.

A pity I won’t be around tomorrow, Dublinpilot, to perhaps meet up, but it’s my day with Justine

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not true Fuji:

HOR ATS.PPR PN 2 HR avant / before ETA par / by :
E-mail : [email protected] ou / or TEL 09 70 27 08 26 – FAX : 03 21 31 45 55.
La demande de douanes doit comporter les renseignements suivants : – Immatriculation de l’ACFT,
- Nom du CDB,
- Nom des PAX avec numéros de passeport ou carte d’identité.
The customs request must include the following information:
- ACFT registration,
- Captain’s name,
- PAX names with passport number or identity card number.

I am the only one here who actually checks the AIP before flying somewhere???

Thanks guys.

If I don’t have an answer by email in the morning I’ll call Calais. But everyone seems to agree with my reading of the NOTAMs, so looks like it will be Le Touquet anyway.

The 2 hours isn’t a problem for me. It will be more than 3 hours in flight anyway.

The change of location isn’t any issue either. It’s only a “splash and dash” fuel/customs stop and then on to Strassbourg (hopefully).

Thanks for the help!
Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ps. I’m armed with lots of EuroGA flyers to leave at various airports along the way ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Bosco – that is why i said in practice.

As is often the case with france when i have asked about that they smile and shrug.

As i said never given notice been 10 times or so in last 6 months shant be giving notice in the future either :-)

Always been happy with a french smile and shrug.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 13 Jun 07:04

No I still think you got it somewhat wrong Fuji.

The above is an immigration requirement. It is all too normal that neither ATC nor OPS do not care. They are not “police”. Just because ATC or OPS did not reprimand you does not mean all was right. It was still – strictly speaking – an infraction of immigration regulations .

One can always say “in practice” after getting away luckily a few times.

One day, les Douanes might take a dim view. And you won’t be able to say “but ATC and OPS didn’t say a word…”. The pilot is responsible for compliance with these regulations.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Jun 07:43
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message