Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regulation EU2020/877 (all EU airports have Customs without PNR/PPR)

But which „goods“ were being exported here?

Rwy20 wrote:

But which „goods“ were being exported here?

None…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I think it is the same old game.

If you drive across a border in a car, the car is exempt by “custom” (no pun intended).

If you fly across a border in a plane, the plane is exempt by the countries’ ICAO treaty obligations (along with the fuel in the tanks, etc – Calcutta is one reported exception).

If you cycle across in a €5000 e-bike, you may get taxed on the value of the bike!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The big difference here AIUI is that this was a flight from a country in the customs union to one outside it.
In a car, customs just pull you over and search the car if they feel like it.
From Dunkirk to Dover for the car ferry there is now 5 or 6 checks you have to pass through before you get on the boat.
Each time.I did it this year, the car got searched twice on the Dunkirk side and then again at Dover.

France

Peter wrote:

If you fly across a border in a plane, the plane is exempt by the countries’ ICAO treaty obligations (along with the fuel in the tanks, etc – Calcutta is one reported exception).

The act of landing is important. It’s the same with boats. If you don’t land, you haven’t brought anything into the country. It’s got nothing to do with ICAO. ICAO is about flying in the airspace AFAIK.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

From Dunkirk to Dover for the car ferry there is now 5 or 6 checks you have to pass through before you get on the boat.

That is a political gesture only with completely transparent motives. In due course, as the “temperature” cools, it will settle down to the more normal methods like e.g. one between Spain/France and Andorra. It may take a while though. It is same with UK-origin packages which are getting chucked on a “customs” pile in BE, NL, DE, etc, and left there for 1 week, unchecked. Give it a year or two and probably an election (a change of personnel).

The stuff which LFHNflightstudent is reporting is to be expected. This customs concession is pure dynamite, the “undesirable” side effects were not planned, and a rearguard action was fully expected

If you don’t land, you haven’t brought anything into the country. It’s got nothing to do with ICAO. ICAO is about flying in the airspace AFAIK.

I am not at all sure that’s true. Too many counter-examples. But for sure each country retains complete sovereignity over both its land and its airspace, and this is why treaty ICAO limitations are rather badly exposed in the 3rd world (overflight permits etc needed).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

It’s got nothing to do with ICAO. ICAO is about flying in the airspace AFAIK.

It’s got everything to do with ICAO. ICAO is also about much more than that – among other things standards for airports, licensing, air ops etc. Peter is correct that the Chicago convention has a premise that makes aircraft and fuel in the tanks except from tax and customs charges.

Article 24:

a) Aircraft on a flight to, from, or across the territory of another contracting State shall be admitted temporarily free of duty, subject to the customs regulations of the State. Fuel, lubricating oils, spare parts, regular equipment and aircraft stores on board an aircraft of a contracting State, on arrival in the territory of another contracting State and retained on board on leaving the territory of that State shall be exempt from customs duty, inspection fees or similar national or local duties and charges. This exemption shall not apply to any quantities or articles unloaded, except in accordance with the customs regulations of the State, which may require that they shall be kept under customs supervision.

b) Spare parts and equipment imported into the territory of a contracting State for incorporation in or use on an aircraft of another contracting State engaged in international air navigation shall be admitted free of customs duty, subject to compliance with the regulations of the State concerned, which may provide that the articles shall be kept under customs supervision and control.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK, but:

Aircraft on a flight to, from, or across the territory of another contracting State shall be admitted temporarily free of duty, subject to the customs regulations of the State

This is very detailed and narrow, and all of it is subject to the customs regulations of the State Clearly ICAO is lower in the food chain than customs.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

The stuff which LFHNflightstudent is reporting is to be expected. This customs concession is pure dynamite, the “undesirable” side effects were not planned, and a rearguard action was fully expected

I don’t think this has anything to do with Brexit (apart from the fact that the UK is now a third country), I have absolutely no problems with border checks for third countries, that is to be expected and good for the Union. This is just Belgium police forces being completely disorganises, which is a tradition in Belgium. You might remember the Dutroux era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux after which the decision was made to unite every police force in Belgium in order to get them to work together. (previously we had Police, Rijkswacht (literally guardians of the Reich – or Gendarmerie in France which was part of the Military) and various other police services. Some big fuck-ups (including not finding 2 of Dutroux victims alive when one of his properties was searched) ensued because these guys refused to collaborate.
Not joining up Federal Aviation Police/Border control and customs in this case is another one of these nice examples. I hold it quite possible that literally the Federal Police would refuse to share flight details with Customs just to get one over on them, even today….

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

If you drive across a border in a car, the car is exempt by “custom” (no pun intended).
Thats actually not completely true. If you are a German citizen, driving a German registered car, you can indeed drive it into any other EU-country and/or some non-EU countries without any further paper work. By driving the car across the border, it’s like passing the “green channel” on an airport.

Things might chance in other countries. I remember I had to import and export a rental car in 2020 from/into Armenia, when coming from Georgia (country, not US-state). After passing immigration and customs, where all cars get fully checked, I had to go into the customs office, show car papers and got a (free) import receipt for max. 90 days. After leaving the border zone (including a final check by military), I had also to buy an Armenian car insurance, even though the rental company includes a better insurance for travels into Armenia. Upon leaving Armenia, I had to show the official (temporary) import document, got another export stamp and was free to go.

And last, but not least, back to the EU: If you are a German citzien, but drive a Swiss registered car into Germany, you need to pass the “red channel” at an official border crossing for a temporary import of the car. If you just ‘cross’ the border with the car on a small border crossing, which means more or less “green exit”, you need to pay the full tax plus fines, in case customs officers caught you.

It’s often a problem if you want to drive a forgein registered car in your own country. Customs might think you’re bypassing road taxes or other special added taxes on cars (e.g. “BPM” in the Netherlands).
Last Edited by Frans at 28 Dec 11:16
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message