Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regulation EU2020/877 (all EU airports have Customs without PNR/PPR)

Sure. But the regulation you quoted referred to “aircraft carrying goods”. You can’t benefit from that exemption unless you meet the conditions, one of which is you are piloting an aircraft carrying goods.

You can’t ignore part of the conditions because you don’t understand why it’s there or you don’t know how it’s defined.

That’s why I asked if it’s a translation issue? Maybe it’s incorrectly translated to English and it’s meant to refer to an aircraft not carrying passengers or an aircraft not carrying THIRD COUNTRY goods?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Goods aren’t defined in the definitions (section 1). So probably terminated in some other section.

But international airport is.
Google translate:

Union International Airport "means any aerodrome which, after authorization issued by the customs authorities, is authorized for the purposes of air traffic with territories situated outside the customs territory of the Union within the meaning of Article 1, paragraph 5 , Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 2015/2447 of 24 November 2015 laying down detailed rules for the application of certain provisions of Regulation (EU) No 952/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing the Code of Union Customs;

So before you cold take advantage of this (even if you do qualify as carrying goods) the airport would have to have been authorised by customs for flights outside the EU.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

So before you cold take advantage of this (even if you do qualify as carrying goods) the airport would have to have been authorised by customs for flights outside the EU.

I was quoting for Austria/Croatia and France/Ireland which are EU to/from EU, AFAIK, that does not require “international (union) airport”

Indeed, for flights outside EU that require taxation, you will need an “international union airport” (they are called IUA: international union airport not to be mixed with POE: point of entry), for flights outside EU with goods to declare one has to use one of these airports listed here, the list for IUA as defined in EU 2015/2447 is here and it’s very up to date (as of Dec2022), these are the only airports that allow taxation and checks on aircraft & goods from outside EU:

IUA Dec2022

Some of these IUA airports for Customs are not even in list of POE airports for Schengen, go figure ! they may have derogation for immigration on cargo only, crew only, no pax from outside EU…

For flights outside EU with nothing to declare, one can use non international union airports, I think people already do it from Ireland to Switzerland for ages or UK recently? or they have to go via Dublin, Cork, Shannon?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 23:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Posts made to a wrong thread moved. Please read the thread topic before posting, and if your browser has not been refreshed for some hours, press F5 before making a post

but allows border control officers the possibility of being relieved of the obligation to check the crew every time.

That obligation does not exist anyway. In every country in Europe AFAIK, they can choose to not check you. This, of course, can be a problem; no idea how they handle that in say Germany and Austria.

Input from one airline pilot (off forum) is that in years past, crew ID cards were sufficient ID and in some cases further back, no ID at all. However, this is moot since he would have travelled only to C+I airports.

So far I have seen nothing indicating this concession (thread topic), if it ever existed for GA, was anything more than some private under the table arrangement. Those of course have existed – like the previously mentioned touch and go to clear C+I at certain French airports. But I would never dream of turning up solo at some French airport and trying to pull this one. Conversely, if this law existed, I would expect any decent police officer to ask me if I have passengers and upon establishing the negative, let me pass.

I wonder if we can have some input from other French pilots. So far, none.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But I would never dream of turning up solo at some French airport and trying to pull this one

Indeed, it’s likely useful at homebase or those going into familiar places

Maybe like,
- Immigration available almost everywhere in Italy/Getmany for flights to Croatia
- Custom available almost everywhere in Switzerland for flights to Germany

On caveat that is “only for homebased pilots in Switzerland” (or “residents/citizens” in Germany or Italy), people rarely state it like this, here is one from the horse mouth

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/14320-how-bad-does-ga-suck-in-switzerland/post/327887#327887

I don’t think high level EU laws are usuable away in unfamilar places? say turn up UK-Germany with PN sent to some random adress: solo with nothing to declare while holding “EU 2020/877” and “SBC Annex VII” prints? still worth knowing that these laws exist !

I will wait for AD laws to get re-written with national implementation or someone else to try and Pirep it first

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Jan 12:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

it’s likely useful at homebase or those going into familiar places

IOW, this is a total nod and wink job – useless unless you speak French and know the right people and they trust you to keep your mouth shut about the deal they did under the table because if the police find out they will get really p1ssed off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry, slight topic drift.
Flying UK to EDDL Duesseldorf, i see the AIP says immigration 24H but I don’t see contact information for me to pre arrange anything.
Can someone confirm to me what the procedure is? And perhaps where I should be looking as I’ve only once flown myself to Germany and can’t remember how I accomplished all the steps.
Thx

United Kingdom

The AIP does give the address to contact:

You aware that Düsseldort does not have any Avgas these days?

Search for EDDL for a few other threads. that contain some useful tips.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Jan 15:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Bosco, thanks for your reply.
I did indeed make those contacts by email but in my enquiry they didn’t reply to my specific request regarding immigration.
I then emailed directly to confirm immigration but have not received a reply.
Ordinarily I would expect a contact shown by immigration on the doc and in absence of that, just turn up.
However due to various threads on ‘troubles’ I like to be a little more cautious.
I’m going to assume that when I get my slot confirmed and have filed my FP that’ll do.

Fingers crossed.
In favourable winds i can make there and back without fueling, if it becomes an issue, I’ll file France for the return, rather than direct, get fuel and lunch, then head home.
Thanks.

United Kingdom

Yesterday, I’ve had a talk with someone how just flew from Switzerland to France and back, without clearing customs on the French side. He said it worked flawlessly in both directions. Other pilot reports I’ve read on other forums or facebook, seem to confirm this. In other words: The French customs offices seem to be informed about the EU 2020/877 regulation and do apply it. Especially at those aerodromes, close to the French-Swiss border.

Now, I’m still waiting for the Italians to fully apply EU 2020/877, as this would bring the most for me personally. Yes, I could just print the regulation on paper, including an Italian copy and go. However, I’m afraid the Italian financial police and border guards (Guardia di Finanza), won’t be impressed by some home-printed documents from my side. Even when the law is on my side, I simply won’t have any chance against those armed guys.

Snoopy wrote:

Maybe in Switzerland… in Austria it is, pull up EU 2020/877 on your phone, click the german language edition, show them and ask if you can go for a coffee while they figure it out. Or print it out and hand it over, the government loves hardcopy paper.
Switzerland is not part of the EU and have their own customs regulations. Nonetheless, most Swiss GA-airfields have tolerated traffic from/to Schengen-countries, with a 2-3 hrs PNR to customs. It’s just for private flights without goods to declare (or you may declare additional goods via the customs-app, and pay the duties before landing in Switzerland).

My biggest issue with the current Swiss regulation are the fees, which come from PNR requests. Almost all airfields charge pilots a fee per customs form. This means a day trip abroad costs from one of my home bases 110 CHF extra (55 CHF per form), which is crazy. Sure, I can prevent those fees by an additional landing at a cheap full customs airport like Sion, Bern or Locarno, but that costs quite a lot of additional time. Also, the PNR times on weekends are sometimes annoying, as some airfields require a PNR already on Friday, in case you want to leave or arrive during the weekend.

BTW: Austrian aerodromes offer also often customs O/R. This was a good thing in the past, but it may be bad for now. In Germany, the EU 2020/877 rule makes life only easier for movements from/to non-customs airfields. If you land or depart however on an airfield with customs O/R, you still need to organize a PNR or PPR for it. In France, you face also a similar situation for police checks, even when coming from Schengen countries. If you arrive at a small aerodrome without immigration, there is nothing to worry about. If you land on an airfield with immigration O/R, you still need to organize immigration, even when coming from a full Schengen member.

Ibra wrote:
Has anyone ever got an encounter with ‘flying squads’ after their landing or departure?
No flying quads, but a check by Swiss, German or Italian customs upon arrival or departure at a small aerodrome. They came to the airfield by car.
Last Edited by Frans at 13 Jan 13:04
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message