Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regulation EU2020/877 (all EU airports have Customs without PNR/PPR)

it might be more likely to be reported in those forums rather than here

Nothing as yet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All well and good but what does this actually mean for (eg) a flight from UK to Germany or even from Ireland to Germany? Neither country is in Schengen but flying commercially from (eg) either London or Dublin to Düsseldorf, you will still need to show your passport on arrival in Germany, therefore flying from (eg) Lydd or Weston directly to Germany would likely require landing at an airport with immigration but not necessarily customs, so what’s the benefit?

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 03 Jan 10:03
EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

All well and good but what does this actually mean for (eg) a flight from UK to Germany or even from Ireland to Germany? Neither country is in Schengen but flying commercially from (eg) either London or Dublin to Düsseldorf, you will still need to show your passport on arrival in Germany, therefore flying from (eg) Lydd or Weston directly to Germany would likely require landing at an airport with immigration but not necessarily customs, so what’s the benefit?

Surely that German ‘customs concession’ (Zoll or EU2020/877) only works for Switzerland & Norway?

Getting immigration in small German airports is tricky, there are likely some ‘immigration concessions’? I do recall, operations doing immigration formalities on behalf of Police when POB are EU citizens for GA flights to/from Croatia and UK (before Jan21), I have not heard anyone who tested this to/from UK after Jan21?

Even few German pilots who fly to UK with aircraft based in Germany, don’t dare trying it from their home airfields !
Or don’t post about it…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jan 10:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am talking about doing stuff legally.

If you want to do stuff illegally then we get a very different discussion, and we’ve already done the one regarding e.g. diversions.

The EU Customs reg in question is from 2021.

Administrator

I don’t think getting passport checked by operation staff in small German airports is illegal?

It seems to be done with immigration police approval (maybe depending on data they get on flight, aircraft and pob)

Is this still possible to/from DE-UK after Jan21? no idea, likely the answer is NO as I have not seen anyone posting about it, we will see when flying picks up again…

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Jan 11:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Please keep things separated … Customs now got easier, but Border Police issues are still on top, as many of us know at least since Covid scrambled all old shortcuts.

Germany

I suggest the thread title is a bit misleading. The new EU regulation doesn’t mean that all EU airports have customs, but rather that simply flying across the border on a flight plan is the equivalent of “going through the green door” at large airports; that is, implies a declaration of “nothing to declare”. As such it allows direct flights from CH, for example, to any airfield in the EU without needing to first stop at an airfield with customs. As referenced above, we now have a document for Germany as backup. We just need to keep in mind that if we do fly to an airfield that provides customs we may still need to provide the necessary PN. It just seems that France and evtl Italy customs haven’t yet “received the email”.

@Snoopy, is it really true that Austria is in line with this, and as you mentioned one can fly from CH directly to any airfield in Austria without first stopping at an airfield with customs? This is more of a theoretical question because the vast majority of airfields in Austria now show that customs is available.
But what about the following? These fields are short so of interest to a rather reduced number of aircraft models.
LOAA Ottenschlag
LOLE Eferding
LOAR Altlichterwarth

Last Edited by chflyer at 03 Jan 15:21
LSZK, Switzerland

It doesn’t matter if Austria is in line with this. It is EU law and applied anywhere in the union.

If you land at LOAA and customs happen to be there and you quote them 2020/877 they will look at you like a bus

Their problem, not yours.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yeah, but you know the problem with that.

• you can’t speak their language (a dramatic difference in quite a few countries in Europe)
  • they carry 9mm and that dramatically changes the attitude of the carrier
  • they know (or believe they know) their laws and you will not find anyone to even translate, let alone represent you legally

I suggest the thread title is a bit misleading.

I do my best to make thread titles highly descriptive but don’t always get it right.

The new EU regulation doesn’t mean that all EU airports have customs, but rather that simply flying across the border on a flight plan is the equivalent of “going through the green door” at large airports; that is, implies a declaration of “nothing to declare”.

Aren’t those two the same thing IF you have nothing to declare?

Administrator

No, not really. Just because it would have sort of the same effect for pilots, it just isn’t right to say „all EU airfields have customs“. A bit like saying „class E is uncontrolled airspace for VFR“.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jan 21:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message