Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Austria immigration PNR

Has anybody had any experience with this “1 hour report”?
Apparently flight plan form many of EU/Shengen states not listed here is not good enough.
Technically how to report if I’m flying 3.5hrs to land close to Austrian border? Or it’s good enough to call Austro Control before departure?
Just wanted to stop on the trip to the Med.

AIP Austria

2.3. When entering/departing from the territory of Austria to/from all Austrian airfields, the pilot in command has to report at least one hour before entering the Austrian territo ry and one hour before departure respectively, the following details to the aero-drome operator, for immigration clearance (if necessary customs), as well as for information of the responsible ARO:

2.3.1. registration mark and type of aircraft,….
……

2.5. This report of the pilot in command and the aerodrome operator is presently not necessary when the entering/departing
takes place to/from following states:
Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Norway

EPXX

This is normal, I think.

When I went to Zell am See LOWZ earlier this year, I had to give 2hrs notice to the airport. They, in turn, if they remember to do it, which on my trip they didn’t remember will tell the police, who then may or may not turn up. But nobody will tell you if they will turn up. So if you arrive at the airport and the staff forgot to do it, you have to just sit there for 2hrs.

The LOWZ PNR thread is here

Croatia (e.g. LDLO or LDSB) is worth considering for a hassle-free stop.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, this is normal for you. You’re not from Shengen

So far have been flying to few countries around e.g. Germany, Danmark, Chech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania and so on and normal for me is to file flight plan an hour (or to CZ,SLO 0.5h) before take off and that’s it!
That’s why I’m surprised about Austria.
Any other EU/Shengen countries require from EU/Shengen plane/pilot/crew any additional formalities besides flight plan?

BTW – how do you inform them 2hrs before arrival? As read your trip report your flight was longer than 2hrs. Sat phone?

EPXX

I just emailed them before going.

This isn’t a problem.

What is a problem is if the airport forgets to notify the police because you then have to sit there. It would be better if one notified the police directly.

Administrator

@Kristof, It might be helpful if we know where you fly from. Poland, perhaps? (where is “TBA”, anyway? )
Regarding the Austrian requirement, it seems likely it is temporary, given the presently perceived state of emergency. France has some similar measures in force.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Kristof wrote:

Technically how to report if I’m flying 3.5hrs to land close to Austrian border?

The AIP says report at least one hour before departure, so you just file the report anytime before takeoff. But read on.

Any other EU/Shengen countries require from EU/Shengen plane/pilot/crew any additional formalities besides flight plan?

Immediately following the list of countries in your posting, AIP Austria has the passage “(See BGBl 372/1996 F-GÜV 1996 in the valid version).” I located that document which is a piece of Austrian regulation (in German) which says that the report is not necessary when arriving from or departing to any Schengen member state. In fact, that regulation has been repealed and replaced by BGBl. II Nr. 360/2013! Fortunately the new regulation says the same thing.

The countries listed are exactly the Schengen member states at one point. I guess that Austrocontrol has not bothered to update the list when more countries joined Schengen. After all they did refer to the “valid version” of the national regulation. Too bad they didn’t notice that particular regulation had been repealed…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Aug 15:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

It might be helpful if we know where you fly from. Poland, perhaps? (where is “TBA”, anyway? )

Affirmitive – Poland. TBA (To be advised) still searching home for my plane, still homeless. Everything within range of 200km is fully packed.
Will advise once something is found
THX for info.

BTW – Italy was mentioned too. Just started to read AIP but Gen 1.2 AIP Italy is 24 pages!!!
Any tip about Italy?
I was planing on a way to Brac to land in Lido and now I’m not sure what to do.

EPXX

Airborne_Again wrote:

The countries listed are exactly the Schengen member states at one point.

THX for info. This is not the first time I’m missing German language.

Last Edited by Kristof at 15 Aug 15:46
EPXX

Hm. I was going to recommend avoiding Italy unless you have some of the local language… seeing the fact that few things are organised there, and even fewer are organised well. OTOH much, sometimes even very much, can be arranged in Italy, but local language is very important in that department. That said, Italian might be less hard on you that you might think, perhaps even less hard than German.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

From Poland to Brac, the well organised airports with avgas which I know about are e.g.

Ljubljana LJLJ
Portoroz LJPZ
Pula LDPL
Losinj LDLO

The bit of Italy you are overflying is quite small and not IMHO especially useful for a stop. Trieste LIPQ was good but the avgas pump (in 2005) was located in a tricky place; no idea if it has changed.

The above are all places which work well. I have never done Venice Lido / San Nicolo LIPV but others have. In Italy you need Italian if you want to get “specials” e.g. avgas at some place which isn’t allowed to sell it to visitors.

The problem with doing a stop near the Alps is the increased wx risk. I did Wangen-Lachen LSPV for that purpose in 2004 (following poor advice from some pilot forum sky god about mountain waves) and got stuck there for several days.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message