Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Re: cancelling over the radio, I’ve always understood that to mean you can cancel IFR, but it is indeed ambiguously written.

EGTF, LFTF

Aviathor wrote:

I would call Lille APP to understand how they can take such liberties.

At the time I understood the message was “You can’t land at Deauville as not VFR” which I wasn’t going to argue about as it was OVC003, so didn’t pursue things further. Landed at towered airport so didn’t ask if they had to close my flight plan or not either. It’s been about 2 month ago so little can do now.

I actually think I was talking to Paris info who relayed this info from Lille APP actually. Which could explain some transmission noise

A question for UK-based forumites – if one would want to get as close as possible to EGSP coming from abroad, what would be a suitable airport of entry?

You can land anywhere in the UK. File a GAR and go to EGSP.

EGTK Oxford

EGSP is unlicensed – does GAR still work in that case? Sorry for stupid n00b question.

Yes – the GAR system allows you to fly from any UK farm strip direct to/from Kathmandu (etc).

The UK does have Ports of Entry airports (I think) but that just means there is permanent police presence and the GAR is not needed. I am really not sure about this but possibly Gatwick and such have that facility.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Understood – GAR will do quite nicely. Thank you!

there is permanent police presence and the GAR is not needed

I think the Border Force wants the GAR in any case. “Port of Entry” only means you needn’t send it to the police. But that is pointless, you just send it to ncu@ and then it’s their problem… See here

LSZK, Switzerland

Channel Islands to Switzerland vs Customs / Immigration

Scenario:

Get to Zurich by air from the Channel Islands.

I have been looking at my options but maybe someone may care to suggest improvements or new ideas? My understanding is that I could fly to Zurich International in one hop and that customs / immigration would be sorted. However, the fees (for a 96 hour stop) may prove somewhat excessive. The flight home would require expensive fuel. So looking at other options:

To fly to Birrfeld.

The problem is now with Customs/Immigration. I would have to enter Schengen before flying into Birrfeld. Solutions? Perhaps fly Channel Islands to Cherbourg / Caen for customs clearance. Then fly on to Birrfeld. For the return home, fly Birrfeld to Cherbourg / Caen, then back to Channel Islands.

Or maybe…?

Fly from Channel Islands to a GA friendly airport in Eastern France for Schengen entry, a dash of fuel, then fly on to Birrfeld. I was looking at fields like Dijon Longvic or Colmar, but would be interested if anyone has any better ideas. I would be looking to stop for a short coffee break and then carry on. (Or if it were Colmar, maybe stay 24 hours before carrying on).

Alternatively…?

How about a good GA airfield in Eastern France with good car rental companies or train connections? Leave the aircraft in France for 96 hours and complete the journey by rental car or by public transport.

The problem is…

With the cost of car rental and public transport, that I would probably find it cheaper and less hassle to fly direct to Zurich International and park there. And so we have come full circle.

Does anyone have any good ideas to break this little circle for me?

PG

pg
PG
EGJB
Sign in to add your message