Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

RobertL18C wrote:

There seems to be a possibility that there will be a UK/EASA mutual recognition of licences in a couple of years.

Anything else would be fairly stupid, but that is applicable to so many things done by both the UK and the EU pertaining Brexit .. :roll:

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes it would make sense. The CAA was obviously hoping for it early on (by unilaterally accepting EU papers for 2 more years) but it didn’t happen. But I’ve heard this rumour so many times now… “a guy in Easyjet told me it will be next March” sort of thing

Most likely it isn’t as simple as it appears because Brussels normally puts a lot of stuff in the same bucket and wants “bilaterality” on all of it, and some of it can’t ever be agreed by one side or the other.

This has been a totally standard problem with EU-anybody treaties, and in GA we get stuff delayed by 10-20 years (like the EU-FAA one) because GA gets lumped in with airline stuff. For example, Brussels wanted EU airlines to be able to do short haul within the US. Now, if that one goes into the bucket, what do you think will happen?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This has been a totally standard problem with EU-anybody treaties, and in GA we get stuff delayed by 10-20 years (like the EU-FAA one) because GA gets lumped in with airline stuff. For example, Brussels wanted EU airlines to be able to do short haul within the US. Now, if that one goes into the bucket, what do you think will happen?

@Peter, I’m not sure if CAA are super-fast either – for example they still haven’t made any commitment for GA-friendly IR, not even in terms when they are planning to do it – “yes, there WILL BE one. DEFINITELY. But we just don’t know even when we are going to start”.

EGTR

@Peter you’re right rumour emanating from loco carriers

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

for example they still haven’t made any commitment for GA-friendly IR,

That one predates my 22 years in this

That will never happen; it cannot, for reasons already done 1000 times. The European IR is stuck in politics, emotions and business interests. Europe uses the IR as the hallmark of a professional pilot. The US uses the ATP for that purpose.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

for example they still haven’t made any commitment for GA-friendly IR,

That one predates my 22 years in this

That will never happen; it cannot, for reasons already done 1000 times. The European IR is stuck in politics, emotions and business interests. Europe uses the IR as the hallmark of a professional pilot. The US uses the ATP for that purpose.

@Peter, what about “cutting of red tape, now we are out of EU”? Surely that should expedite things?! ;)
On a more serious note – I doubt it will ever happen. I mean both – GA-friendly IR and the EASA/CAA license cross-recognition. Too much politics for both…

EGTR

An IR needs to be ICAO compliant, to be of any use.

What one could do is make it possible to teach it at any school, and all the other stuff which the USA does, but then you have industry interests…

I don’t think brexit changes any of this. There are so many factors.

Administrator

I don‘t understand the fuss here with the IR. The club where I fly (CH) is churning out CB-IR pilots at a steady rate. The EASA CB-IR is ICAO compliant so one can fly anywhere on it.

Last Edited by chflyer at 23 Dec 11:20
LSZK, Switzerland

I actually passed the FRTOL 10 years ago, but the CAA refused to issue the licence ‘because you already have a licence’ and ‘because you don’t need one’. I went in circles for a few phone calls then eventually gave up.

The FRTOL is a UK National licence. It has nothing to do with any other licence. If they refused to issue it you should have gone for a Regulation 6 appeal. Unfortunately after 10 years you have no hope.

Does the FRTOL exist as a standalone licence? My new UK PPL says, “Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s privileges: The holder of this licence has demonstrated competence to operate R/T equipment on board in English.” I assumed this covers it..?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message