Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

What happened to the German medicals, which were declared “worthless” after the Germanwings suicide, when it became known that German AMEs had no access to the GP records?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What happened to the German medicals, which were declared “worthless” after the Germanwings suicide, when it became known that German AMEs had no access to the GP records?

Swedish AMEs don’t have automatic access to GP (or any other) medical records either. The system relies on the pilot to disclose any issues which the AME can’t find him/herself, after which (s)he will requisition the relevant medical records from the GP/hospital. So in that case all Swedish medicals are also “worthless”.

(In fact, when — for what reason I don’t know — my previous AME got a new id in the EASA medical records system, I had to approve that he got access to his existing records on me that he made under his old id!)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Not much as far as I know. And imho no AME’s have blanket access to GP records. At least not in Switzerland. If they want something, they have to ask via the applicant who has to give his accord to access those data.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Jun 09:20
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Here in the UK, the CAA needs your permission to get your GP record, and you can refuse, but then you just won’t get your CAA papers, and they don’t have to say why So that may be same as Sweden or Switzerland. Actually I would not expect the CAA to have covert access to the GP (or any other medical e.g. hospital) record in any modern country.

The difference is that in Germany the AME is (or was?) prohibited from getting the GP record and even if he suspected there is something dodgy in there, he had to issue the medical.

It’s the same with a job application. You can refuse but then you won’t get the job. Simple

AFAIK, the UK CAA gets the GP record only on an initial Class 1, or when they suspect something.

Administrator

At one point, for the UK CAA, I had to get a letter from my GP stating that I was not on any medication. It cost £15.
(I was not on any medication.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have had a UK issued EASA License.
I transfered it to Danish CAA – as I’m Danish and live in Denmark.
There is now an option to get a UK license but it will end soon. I don’t really think I need it. I do not see the need for flying a UK reg plane.
Please let me know if I’m missing out on something letting this option pass.
I’m not interested in maintaining two licenses and medicals.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

This is exactly my position.
Before SOLIing I made sure I had the UK ICAO PPL, which is lifetime, though the SEP rating on it will expire next year, and I’m leaving it at that…

There is no point in getting UK papers if you are certain you will never need UK papers.

For me, flying with FAA and UK (previously EASA) papers, I value the fact that the FAA papers never expire (just need a BFR, and the 6/6 IR rolling currency) and are not dependent on the whim of any European regulatory body, but that is just my perspective, having seen Brussels chop and change stuff every few years.

I have found that in this flying game when a possibly useful door is open, make use of it, because it may close. I have followed various such doors over many years, to my advantage. But that is just a policy of mine I would probably get the UK license conversion; no need to actually keep it valid with a SEP checkride and a medical. It is like getting a Czech passport (I am entitled to it by birth) which is a vast amount of stupid hassle (getting docs apostiled and all kinds of crap) but again one never knows when an EU passport may be handy, in some “funny country”. If I was a Mexican I would try to get a US passport even if I never plan to live in the US

It is possible a UK-EASA deal will be done, and is much rumoured, but if it is done nobody will say or hear anything until it is done…

Administrator

A 28 day foreign licence validation can be used to fly a UK-registered/controlled/operated Part-21 aeroplane in a non-commercial operation.

Ratings included in a UK Part-FCL, should one be acquired, can be renewed directly with a UK examiner without attending an ATO beforehand.

A valid UK medical is not needed for a proficiency check or subsequent licence endorsement if done by the examiner.

London, United Kingdom

So, how to do this? :)

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway
Sign in to add your message