Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

Thank you Qalupalik.

I’ll keep Regulation 6 in mind for the future, Tumbleweed

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Most UK glider pilots FRTOL are standalone

One does not need CAA medical or licence to fly gliders (a mere eclaration that they are fit to drive is enough to do gliding as sport), however, radio privileges in gliders outside selected frequencies require FRTOL which is usually issued as standalone unless pilot holds SPL, LAPL, PPL for other reasons

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Dec 17:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Capitaine, “Does the FRTOL exist as a standalone licence?”

Yes, unless you hold a UK licence where radiotelephone privileges will be endorsed in section XII.

London, United Kingdom

Does the FRTOL exist as a standalone licence? My new UK PPL says, “Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s privileges: The holder of this licence has demonstrated competence to operate R/T equipment on board in English.” I assumed this covers it..?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

I actually passed the FRTOL 10 years ago, but the CAA refused to issue the licence ‘because you already have a licence’ and ‘because you don’t need one’. I went in circles for a few phone calls then eventually gave up.

The FRTOL is a UK National licence. It has nothing to do with any other licence. If they refused to issue it you should have gone for a Regulation 6 appeal. Unfortunately after 10 years you have no hope.

I don‘t understand the fuss here with the IR. The club where I fly (CH) is churning out CB-IR pilots at a steady rate. The EASA CB-IR is ICAO compliant so one can fly anywhere on it.

Last Edited by chflyer at 23 Dec 11:20
LSZK, Switzerland

An IR needs to be ICAO compliant, to be of any use.

What one could do is make it possible to teach it at any school, and all the other stuff which the USA does, but then you have industry interests…

I don’t think brexit changes any of this. There are so many factors.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

for example they still haven’t made any commitment for GA-friendly IR,

That one predates my 22 years in this

That will never happen; it cannot, for reasons already done 1000 times. The European IR is stuck in politics, emotions and business interests. Europe uses the IR as the hallmark of a professional pilot. The US uses the ATP for that purpose.

@Peter, what about “cutting of red tape, now we are out of EU”? Surely that should expedite things?! ;)
On a more serious note – I doubt it will ever happen. I mean both – GA-friendly IR and the EASA/CAA license cross-recognition. Too much politics for both…

EGTR

for example they still haven’t made any commitment for GA-friendly IR,

That one predates my 22 years in this

That will never happen; it cannot, for reasons already done 1000 times. The European IR is stuck in politics, emotions and business interests. Europe uses the IR as the hallmark of a professional pilot. The US uses the ATP for that purpose.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter you’re right rumour emanating from loco carriers

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message