Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

Posts moved to existing thread on same topic.

The long standing concession whereby a G-reg could be flown on any ICAO PPL, as an automatic validation by the UK CAA, ended recently; see here. It remains only for Annex 1 types.

Otherwise, obviously, this topic would be meaningless.

So I think that if you fly a G-reg RV (Annex 1) then you can continue to fly it, worldwide, on a French PPL.

IIRC, the above concession was removed some years ago (2011?) but then reinstated. It was finally removed a year or so ago, as a retaliation for Brussels not recognising UK papers for EASA-reg aircraft, post-brexit.

The phrase “The Government has been clear that there will be no extension” is the same as the CAA recently put out in relation to the derogation for N-regs – around here. It means only what it says; any extensions in this area have always been announced only at the 11th hour, to maximise the fear effect.

There are rumours going around the airline business that Brussels will recognise UK papers sometime in the first few months of 2022, which would make this discussion obsolete (and upset the Austrian CAA which made a few million out of UK commercial pilots ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We discussed this at my BFR, the conclusion was that Annex-1 types may still be flown on any ICAO license as the concession in the 2016 ANO (the most recent version) is not being changed.

Andreas IOM

@alioth

That is true for UK non–Part-21 aircraft, save for excepted aircraft. However, the situation since IP completion day has changed for aircraft registered elsewhere than in the UK.

London, United Kingdom

Hi there! My EASA PPL was issued in October 2021, and therefore, how I understand it, the general validation on the CAA website is not valid, and neither is the EASA to UK CAA license conversion process announced in May. The only reference I’ve seen about licenses issued starting in 2021 states that holders should email the CAA. Does anyone know what the process looks like to get a UK CAA validation or license conversion? Thanks!

LPCS, Portugal

@ilyas I note you are based in Portugal. If you don’t mind me asking why do you want/need a UK CAA licence? I’m beginning to think I missing something that I should be doing.

France

@gallois, sorry that I wasn’t clear on my comment. I regularly fly G-reg aircraft here in Portugal as it’s the only rental C152s available around.

LPCS, Portugal

Got it ,thanks ilyas, I’ll stop worrying now but I’d better mention the situation to a Belgian chum who has a G reg Mooney based here.

France

@ilyas

You could apply for a validation which would be valid for any of 28 days in a calendar year. It would require completing at least one acclimatisation flight with a CRI/FI whose certificate is acceptable to UK CAA. See application forms SRG2141 and SRG2142 (link1, link2).

Alternatively if you have accumulated 100 hours of flight time as a pilot you could obtain a standard UK Part-FCL PPL. The conversion conditions are set out in art 9 in Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/723, as retained and amended by the UK (link). On-Track Aviation provides some good information on the English language proficiency requirements (link). The heading of article 150 in the Air Navigation Order appears to deem non-UK radio operators’ certificates valid when operating radios fitted in UK-registered Part-21 aircraft. Otherwise, Mark Fairhurst with FTEJerez might be a conveniently located UK radio telephony examiner. Perhaps @Tumbleweed will elaborate.

London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your input @Qalupalik. That sounds extremely difficult for something that is so easy for those with licenses issues before 2021? I have emailed CAA and am waiting for their input.

LPCS, Portugal

I’ve just completed the online application which was quite easy. One point to note is it asks for a name and email address at the issuing EASA NAA for licence verification: it might be worth finding a real person who can do this before starting the application.

There was no mention of ELP level 6, but I did SRG1199 as suggested (merci @Xtophe). The UK FE who did this plus the certified copies of passport and licence warned me to expect the CAA to charge (they did) and for there to be a delay (we shall see).

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message