Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA validation of EU licenses until 31 Dec 2022

Fill in forms SRG 2141 and SRG 2142 for the 28 day validation. An acclimatisation flight with a UK CRI/FI will need doing before SRG 2141 is submitted, using the email address on p 3.

If a UK Part-FCL licence is preferred, fill in SRG 1217 for a UK medical certificate then apply for the licence through either e-Licensing, if eligible, or electronic form SRG 2158. Further instructions on UK CAA page Conversion of an EASA flight crew licence to a UK part equivalent licence.

London, United Kingdom

What is a “deposit scheme”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

when a possibly useful door is open, make use of it, because it may close.

I agree – and that is why I did consider this option, but I really don’t want to deal with the medical. I have decided to let the option pass.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I was trying to figure out whether this was at all useful to me (which, if it were, does not seem straightforward as it appears I need to email the CAA because I got my PPL just recently and the cut-off is dec 31st 2020 for whatever reason 🤷‍♂️) but anyway I fell into another rabbit hole in doing so.

I thought it was OK to fly any reg within my country’s airspace (Belgium in my case) but as I understand it now, this is a right provided by the original registering country which, in the case of N-reg, the FAA has explicitly granted (FAR 61.3). Is that correct and does it imply I need to figure out whether this right has been granted for the specific country where a plane has been registered? Say I would like to fly a friend’s G-reg within EBBU airspace only, can I do that on my Belgian PPL? Can I fly the YJ-reg my buddy in Vanuatu flew over (humour me) even if I have no idea whether the Vanuatuans have issues with that? Or does it only matter what the Belgian CAA thinks of this and in that case, would it differ country by country?

Last Edited by Tango at 09 Aug 10:16
EBGB EBKT, Belgium

You can fly a plane worldwide if you have a license issued by the country of registration (noncommercial, and in the civilised countries only).

Within EASA there is a mutual recognition scheme so you can fly e.g. a D-reg on a Belgian license. This is valid worldwide.

Accordingly, the papers required to fly an N-reg are determined by the FAA. This means either a US license, or a foreign license (under 61.3) which is issued by the country which owns the airspace. So you can fly an N-reg in Germany on a German license but not on a Belgian license. The EASA mutual-validation scheme is not recognised by the US.

See my summary.

After Dec 2022, a G-reg will require a UK issued license. Similarly a D-reg (e.g.) is not flyable on a UK license since 1st Jan 2021. The UK did a 2 year concession, but Brussels did not reciprocate.

Posts moved to existing thread on same topic.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

After Dec 2022, a G-reg will require a UK issued license.

Even when flying only in e.g. Belgium with a Belgian PPL, unlike the N-reg situation? Are there other countries besides the US that allow similar blanket within-country provisions?

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Yes. The UK CAA has total jurisdiction over what pilot papers are required for a G-reg. Same as Botswana has total jurisdiction over what pilot papers are required for an A2 reg

None I know of. The FAA is very generous in this way. Same with the 61.75 PPL, etc.

Administrator

ophirmm wrote:

Thanks, yes I went for 2 and also started chasing the application (submitted it last February).

So it took 10 months but the license has landed in my mailbox today! Had many complications on the way mostly with the medical but all was resolved in the end.

Also discovered today about the PMD option which is very useful given that my EASA medical is not valid with the UK license. I’ll keep my international flights to EASA aircrafts

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

ophirmm wrote:

I’ll keep my international flights to EASA aircrafts

Same here…
When I started flying for a certain British loco, I was forced to convert my Swiss to a UK ATPL. One of the first action when I retired was to go back to a Swiss EASA licence
Still, the British CAA has kept pestering me with repetitive emails during the whole year thinking I would like to rejoin the ranks…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

There seems to be a possibility that there will be a UK/EASA mutual recognition of licences in a couple of years.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message