Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

Who is behind Logbook.aero? It looks very nice. I started using LogTen Pro several years ago but I am sick of it. It’s an app and restricted to iOS devices for no reason. Also they charge a lot of money for it. Doing it as a web page is much better and Logbook.aero offers (even automated) CSV export so I am protected in case the site/maintainer disappears. Anyone knows the background of this and has some first hand experience?

Logbook.aero was created by me! I started it in 2013 after I went on a flying tour of France and the Channel Islands. I had lots of photos, videos and GPS tracks, and wanted to organise them so I could easily view them at a later date. So I thought of combining an electronic logbook with a digital scrapbook.

I am based in Yorkshire, UK and have been a GA pilot for 15 years. The website was launched initially for GA pilots – many other electronic logbooks are targeted at professional pilots and are overkill for GA. However, the customer base has grown rapidly over the last year (paying customers from 15 countries – Australia, US and across Europe), with an increasing number of professional pilots. Some UK airlines are interested in rolling it out to all of their pilots.

Logbooks can be backed up to Dropbox, Google Drive or email (automated) or you can download a CSV file at any time.

Last Edited by WayneB at 09 Feb 11:32

Hi Wayne, thanks for the feedback. It looks very nice and clearly done by somebody who knows web development!

One thing I couldn’t find: how can you log both departure/arrival and takeoff/touchdown times? German pilots are used to logging both. I have no idea why but we were taught to do so and all the paper logbooks are designed that way…

One thing I couldn’t find: how can you log both departure/arrival and takeoff/touchdown times? German pilots are used to logging both. I have no idea why but we were taught to do so and all the paper logbooks are designed that way…

At the moment, it’s not possible to log both. But I can add that feature. Is departure/arrival the same as brakes off/brakes on, and do you use this for calculating the total flight time?

Normally the pilot logs brakes off to brakes on, while the aircraft logs (i.e. for maintenance purposes) airborne time only.

That is correct for N-reg and G-reg. Is it not correct for some other European reg?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

in Germany we log wheels off and wheels on (i.e. flight time) in addition to block time which is from off block (breaks off) to on block (brakes on). The takeoff/landing time is also logged by the airfield (even if it’s a small aeroclub grass spot, it is required to maintain a complete list of all movements).

In addition to that we have an aircraft log which logs flight time. I don’t really know why we do it this way but I can assure you that pretty much everybody does it this way here.

in Germany we log wheels off and wheels on (i.e. flight time) in addition to block time which is from off block (breaks off) to on block (brakes on).

That is curious… why?

I know about the endless discussions about what time to log but really there is nothing “wrong” about the pilot logging just airborne time. He/she is just “losing out” on that magical figure called Total Time

Is there a German reg requiring the pilot to log both times?

What about all those people who just use hobbs time for everything, or doesn’t that happen in Germany? It is very widespread in the UK, especially in syndicates where there is the obvious “trust” issue (and yes, the pilots are robbing themselves on TT while paying over the top for maintenance because on the average burger run you are moving on the ground so much as a % of TT).

Administrator

I log:

Block off time
Take-off time
Landing time
Block on time

My total time is Block time.

Is there a German reg requiring the pilot to log both times?

I don’t think so, there is just EASA nowadays. It must be a historical thing, it starts with the German logbooks having columns for those fields and FIs teaching us how to fill out the logbook.

Most logbook apps support these fields which is why I asked Wayne about it.

I record both times but flying time is only for maintenance.

EGTK Oxford

Recording airborne time would definitely be of value to anybody involved in maintaining the aircraft.

But to nobody else, IMHO.

Then we get onto the debate of electronic logbooks for the aircraft Is there such a product which combines the two?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message