Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

How does one deal with instructor signoffs, endorsements, etc?

Are people using purely electronic logbooks? I'd always use a paper one for siggnoffs etc and only use an electronic for backup / statistical purposes.

I maintain a paper log book and two electronic log books. All my sign offs are in the paper book. If I ever switch to full electronic then I will go for sticky labels for the printout to carry endorsements etc.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I've met a couple of instructors who refused to do stickers, saying they could be stuck into somebody else's logbook. Both were FAA related; one would not sign a BFR other than in a real logbook, and the other was one I started the FAA CPL with.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I've met a couple of instructors who refused to do stickers, saying they could be stuck into somebody else's logbook. Both were FAA related; one would not sign a BFR other than in a real logbook, and the other was one I started the FAA CPL with.

That is quite an outdated view. My instructor does stickers which I stick in a paper logbook but it has my name and certificate number.

EGTK Oxford

I stopped using a paper logbook in 1993. Had one in excel, DFS program and use LogTenPro now. I'm very happy with LogTenPro.

United Kingdom

Are people using purely electronic logbooks? I'd always use a paper one for siggnoffs etc and only use an electronic for backup / statistical purposes.

I still use both. A paper logbook (presently three quarters through number 7) mainly for nostalgic reasons and because it never raises any further questions upon ramp inspections, of which I've had my fair share over the years. But there are no summations or signatures in any of my logbooks, just the flights. Signatures were never necessary under German national regulations and later JAR, obviously now under EASA they are a requirement, but I refuse to sign anything (be it my logbook or a student's) unless a judge forces me to.

For statistics and everything else I have an Excel worksheet, like hours flown within the last 90 days or last year in which position on which class or type under which flight rules, for which company of flying school. Very useful for revalidations and for writing invoices. I started this in Lotus 1-2-3 in 1988 and it has not much changed since, unfortunately "Numbers" on my iPad can not properly work with time values, therefore I have to keep it on my computer at home.

EDDS - Stuttgart

This site requires electronic logbooks to be signed off for each entry, for the minimum requirements.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, that is his view. You have to remember that in the US, a large number of pilots don’t keep any logbook.

EGTK Oxford

Like everything on these forums, the contents on that site can only be opinion as well. OK, although expressed by someone ‘in the know’, this wouldnt be the first time something is deemed ‘debatable’ at least.

Finally – near the end of the bottle of vino & the log book entries are completely imported. I started this task during the bad weather over Christmas and managed to finally get it done tonight. I feel for those members who have multiples of my hours – it’s a tedious task.

It does feel strange not writing up my last few flights into the original log book but I just have to force to accept that paper is soo last century. I went with PilotPro as a logbook app as it has a nice sync with Dropbox which makes it independent from the company’s success…The most interesting part is that I can see my number of hours graphed varying in close approximation to my disposable income (or lack thereof) in the past 10 years!

DMEarc

Last Edited by DMEarc at 08 Feb 00:34
Sign in to add your message