Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

The logbook format for easa is featured in AMC FCL.050 „Recording of flight time“.

It’s an AMC, so using the EASA format will work, but, you can also come up with your own AMC, and thus, format.

The logbook must be provided to the authority when so requested within „reasonable“ time, it does not have to be on board for flying.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Cttime wrote:

Since when were electronic logbooks not allowed. What said your logbook had to be on paper? And if something did, what said it had to be handwritten?

Electronic logbooks are permitted now (since some time in the beginning of this year), but before that they were not. FCL.050 and its AMC said that the logbook had to be on paper and signed by hand, unless you were a commercial pilot and your employer kept electronic logs.

I can print my logbook from myflightbook in EASA FCL format and it would look just like my paper logbook except neater and loose-leaf.

The Swedish CAA had the rather pragmatic view that if you did this and signed the paper printouts then they were the logbook.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have been using an online logbook which used to be free but now switched very fast and aggressively to a paid version.

I do not mind one time fees but I don’t like subscriptions.

Spreadsheets are nice, but they lack functionality to export nicely looking EASA FCL.050 PDFs (required if you’re actively looking for a job).

So I got a bit frustrated and created this site:

https://easa-logbook.cryo.dev/

Using the spreadsheet that is provided there, you can export a CSV file and it will create a nicely looking HTML page that follows the FCL.050 specifications. The HTML page can be printed as a PDF or on paper.

Last Edited by Dimme at 06 Jul 05:29
ESME, ESMS

MyFlightBook is something that I’ve been using; the dev is responsive to any requests to add / change things if explained clearly. That said, taking a look at your contribution, for which I thank you in advance.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I tried that out but somehow it didn’t satisfy my OCD, probably I could have contacted the dev but I just wanted something simple with the additional benefit of the EASA printout.

Hopefully some people will find it useful.

ESME, ESMS

Has anyone any experience with electronic airframe and engine log books? Even something as simple as a excel spreadsheet. I Thought it might be a bit easier especially when coming totting up as the totals never seem to match.

It would certainly make it even easier to forge entries, which is exactly what some want to do when selling a plane

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know, for example, that Austrocontrol in Austria silently accepts practically any kind of digital records, be it a mobile app or a custom made Excel sheet but does not have this officially written anywhere (neither on their web site, nor somewhere in the AIP or other regulating publication).

I once heard from a fellow pilot that some of the Scandinavian countries also accept digital records but only if you print them in the format of a physical EASA logbook and then glue the printed sheets inside the book. I am not sure if this is specified in any publication.

What is your experience about the acceptance of digital means of recording of flight time in different countries? Which countries allow it and which not, which allow only specialized apps and which allow anything (like homemade Excel files) and especially interesting for me, which ones have somehow publicly announced what they allow and what not?

Last Edited by Vladimir at 12 May 12:58
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I got a homemade Excel with a website that generates EASA-compatible printouts. I never had any issues with any authority not accepting it.

https://easa-logbook.cryo.dev/

ESME, ESMS

It is written in EASA FCL.050 recording of Flight Time. Electronic format is permitted.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message