Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France "Citizen's Climate Convention"

Sorry for this very long post with lots of French, but I thought it could be useful to know how we will be eaten (sorry, french expression)

Make up your mind from this digest. Mine is that some lobbies were heard, other weren’t

The final report of the CCC (no, not the Central Chinese Commitee, although….) is published in details. Link
I put a summary of every measure that will affect aviation (President Macron said they would all be submitted to his puppets committee the Assemblee Nationale.

Proposition #1 : banner towing is forbidden (a dozen rotax are huge climate threat apparently)

proposition #2 : new tax on air transport
This tax has 3 formulas for economy class, business class and “private transport jets only?)” Notice the question mark

proposition #3 : from 2025, air transport (scheduled or charter) is forbidden between city pairs when the same trip can be taken via a direct, less-than-4h train

proposition #4 : from 2025, all new airfield or airfield extension is forbidden, with few exceptions (islands?)

What is precisely an extension (like hangar construction) ? No idea.

proposition # 5 : raising tax on avgas by 23 cents per liter (from 2021 if possible)

Note at, for this proposition, there is no impact analysis, no legal discussion, nothing.

Airlines must compensate their carbon emissions.

Non-aviation stuff :
Dozens and dozens of new laws, regulations, ccompulsory reports and committes, the funniest being the “High Authority for planetary limits” made of 90 (!!) experts (seems out of Star trek )

No freedom for the enemies of freedom :

Forget about cars in TV games :

All cities must implement traffic restrictions.
The speed limit in all urban areas is lowered to 30 km/h.
Tax on diesel for trucks will increase of 3 cents per year.
For ships, forbidding the use of the ship’s engine in port was considered, but not implemented due to international law issues.
Did you know there was a tax on auto insurance contracts ?
From 2025, new cars will be limited to 110g/km, which is almost all “fuel” cars
Working from home will be compulsory one day per week, otherwise, people will have to do their work on 4 four days :

In all buildings, AC is forbidden below 30°C OAT, and limited to OAT -10°C.
This is interesting :

Basically, they want people to stick to cities and villages, and not build new houses everywhere.
They know it doesn’t make anyone happy :

Strong limitations to the buidling of new malls (at least, there is one good thing).
Another incredible stuff :

Advertisement about any food unhealthy or not green is forbidden, except if a tax is paid
Where the robbers get caught :

We will ask the governement to request the EU to forbid import of food that does not comply with… EU regs ! So what do they do today ?
Then the new capital crime : the ecocide. “Any action causing significant ecological damage”, what does that mean ?
But they say it is impossible to write in law. Phew !

My conclusion :

• cars and planes are bad. (They don’t speak about auto gas because I think there is already a law about its rise.)
  • boats get surprisingly zero fuss.
  • taxes are no going down, with all these committes and regulations
  • This fashion of replaying 1789 for everything won’t lead us anywhere.
LFOU, France

All this has been around and being pushed by the Greens in nearly every country in Europe. None of it is new. But if you, like Macron were President of their country looking perhaps to be re elected, would you fight everything that comes from the environmentalists dismissing the council as a group of loony leftists. Or would you look at the suggestions and say "there are some good ideas worthy of further investigation, I will put them to the assembly members.
Remember even Le Pen’s policies are much further left under Marine than they ever were under her father which is why they have fallen out and why the party, whatever they call it now is doing better in the polls.
As for aviation, do we really need an air service to take us from La Rochelle to the centre of Paris when the train does it in around 3 hours, cleanly, in comfort, 1st class for around £40. I am writing this from such a voyage.
If on the other hand you were offering me the chance to fly myself in a small SEP or twin, I would choose that despite the extra cost. It just wasn’t possible on this occasion. UK Boris has seen to that.

France

This is astonishing.

But it reminds me of the longest suicide note in history so no govt will actually implement any significant part of it.

The 2025 dates should enable most of it to be kicked into the long grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

As for aviation, do we really need an air service to take us from La Rochelle to the centre of Paris when the train does it in around 3 hours,

Perhaps because you want to change planes ? And isn’t that the case already in France – IOW there are no internal flights on routes where they would compete with the TGV. I once had an interesting conversation with a member of the ‘Chambre de Commerce’ of Poitiers who reckoned the fact that there were (still are) no flights between Poitiers and Paris is costing the region gazillions in lost investment and jobs. I have had the dubious pleasure of using the TGV many times and appreciate its efficiency if
Les Cheminots (that’s the mollycoddled class of ‘workers’ who retire starting at age 48) aren’t on strike. However, not everyone wishes to go to the center of Paris, despite the fact that 99% of Parisians consider it the center of the universe.

Anyway, as @Peter says – prob99 only a small portion of this insanity is likely to be enacted. And if it is, well, just another country to avoid.

Would this suffice to be recognised as a political refugee in Canada or the US ?

EBST, Belgium

This is not a political program but the legislative agenda of the majority party, with still 2 years in power ahead of them.

EGTF, LFTF

gallois wrote:

As for aviation, do we really need an air service to take us from La Rochelle to the centre of Paris when the train does it in around 3 hours, cleanly, in comfort, 1st class for around £40. I am writing this from such a voyage.

Have you then tried to get on a plane to anywhere else – especially with luggage? I mean we all know Paris is the center of the universe, but there are other destinations…

gallois wrote:

If on the other hand you were offering me the chance to fly myself in a small SEP or twin, I would choose that despite the extra cost. It just wasn’t possible on this occasion. UK Boris has seen to that.

???

@skydriller yes I have tried to transfer from plane to train with luggage. If I need to go via Paris the TGV goes La Rochelle to Poitiers change without changing platform then train direct to Charles de Gaulle. Cost around €50. Around 3h15
There is a air service which is not as regular I think its HOP and I think its CdG not Orly (but things change a lot and regularly with airlines depending on day, season etc much more so than the trains)
So bus or taxi to airport, less choice of times, same problem regarding strikes, including check in and change of terminal at Cdg with luggage (you can’t check through) approx 2h45 cost at low cost rates €150.
Could go via Stansted or Gatwick but I hate those shopping malls with a passion especially the security part.And would take even longer, with a tx to Heathrow.
So it depends where you are going to and where from and when.
???
Boris’s quarantine screwed my return from UK. A friend wanted to fly his girlfriend to Paris for the week and asked if I would fly over with him as a) he only has IRR and b) he hadn’t flown any further into France than LFAT. So I was going to fly with him and his girlfriend to one of the smaller Paris airports, they would go into Paris and I would fly the aircraft to LFFK to get a couple of jobs done on it. A week later we would do the reverse. Then came the quarantine for travellers from France which meant that they would not be able to go back to work for 2weeks. So the trip was put on hold and I came back Eurostar and TGV.:(

Last Edited by gallois at 06 Sep 08:54
France

Jujupilote wrote:

My conclusion : cars and planes are bad. (They don’t speak about auto gas because I think there is already a law about its rise.) boats get surprisingly zero fuss. taxes are no going down, with all these committes and regulations This fashion of replaying 1789 for everything won’t lead us anywhere.

It is actually worth reading the whole report, not the full 231 pages, but at least the table of contents. This goes much, much further than “just” aviation. It is a total revision of how society is supposed to work and would, if fully implemented, introduce the visions laid out in a 1980’ies book “Eco-Dictatorship: No place for humans” (my translation, the original was in German).

The report is very well organized and comparatively easy to read, therefore the French population would be well advised to read it cover to cover NOW and make sure, they do not get into a situation where the writing was there for all to read but nobody bothered until it was too late! A sort of ecological “mein Kampf” in terms of what is to come if not challenged.

The main direction is to tax anything which is not ecologically acceptable in the view of that council by taxing it to death. This goes for automobiles as well as air transport and just about every aspect of life. That boats are not included may have several reasons: a) they know darn well that the money lies at the cote d’Azur and there are huge powers waiting to be awoken if their toys are targetet, b) France is surrounded at 3 sides by water and also has quite a lot of internal rivers, so boating is some sort of a national sport. They might as well try to reduce the amount of wine people are allowed to drink. Even though I think once the people realize what the restrictions for personal automobiles are, the reaction may well be the similar.

All in all, this report sounds like the wet dream of ecological extremists, it is therefore very clear that whoever did this hardly represents the general population or if so, the general population must have been lulled into a sense of defeatism which I don’t really know the French for. Like you said, this report has been the result of listening to a very one sided lobby while totally ignoring or excluding any politically not correct other lobby. And aviation is no more than a byline in the general context of things. If the propositions regarding daily life gets imposed as formulated, I doubt that anyone will have the money to actually exercise their rights as pilots or let alone owners of airplanes.

Some propositions you mention in connection with aviation are not owned by France though, but already on the way to be implemented by other countries as well. Taxing air travel with the goal of eventually eliminating it via seat taxes on airliners and private planes is well on the way in Switzerland too and as I understand also in other EU countries. Banning of fringe activities such as banner towing or similar activities, which have little or no impact on the general public, piss off only a very limited number of people and are a clear sign that “look mummy what we are doing” are very popular with governments for that reason. The aviation community is generally too small to make any impact on the ballots when re-election comes up so even if all of them run to Marine LePen the effect will not be much more noticable than if a bunch of people urinate into the ocean.

Jujupilote wrote:

This fashion of replaying 1789 for everything won’t lead us anywhere.

It may well do for people to read up on 1789 and what happened thereafter… the parallels are there indeed, if in a different direction. While in 1789 the goal was to liberate the people (and achieving the opposite during the process, see “reign of terror” and so on), the goal of this revolution sounds like enslaving them to the goals of eco-fascism.

It should also be quite clear that full implementation of the propositions of this report may well mean incompatibility with membership in the EU, lest the EU would follow France’s lead and turn the whole continent into an eco-dictatorship, which most certainly would cause the split up of the Union as quite a lot of countries will not have what ever is left of their economy stamped out by this. Even more likely, once the French people start to suffer the consequences of exponential taxes, the inability to travel or own cars, the lack and rationing of food (no imports of politically incorrect food will lead to this) e.t.c. that a counterrevolutionary movement will overthrow it all. Marine LePen will have a field day.

Clearly, the points you rise are those important for aviation, but somehow I think in the great picture of the whole propositions they are mere consequences or small parts of a general upheaval and overtun of just about the whole way the French economy and daily life on the altar of ecological fascism. Somehow I doubt the French people will take this without a fight. The leaders of this coup d’état attempt may be well advised to read up on the fate of Robbespierre or re-read Victor Hugo on the outcome of ill conceived uprisings.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Indeed.

Without wishing to be cynical (me? Never! ) there is no way any govt would allow this “legislative process” to run its course. It simply cannot be left to be implemented.

In the UK, where we have a fairly accountable system of govt, the govt would never let such a thing to take place, because it is such an obvious hostage to fortune. Well, the brexit vote was one surprising exception but that was because Cameron was really sure it would be a Remain vote. And afterwards he could not ignore it (like other countries did previously) because in the UK you can’t do that… well not after giving a cast iron promise to implement it whatever the outcome. Obviously no other country in Europe is going to risk repeating that experiment

In France, the establishment of the citizen’s convention means the govt must have a “process” for ditching this kind of stuff. Not quickly… it must be done after a proper period of time. French govt is very good at this kind of thing. The Brits used to be too (they ran much of the world, after all, a few thousand years ago) but they were never as smooth as the French. Also the English food was always crap; a problem since food, and other things, lubricates everything. Firstly, things need to be left long enough to develop fungus (like on French cheese), and hopefully to allow time for new crises to take over the public “interest horizon”. It has been done many times before; for a quite narrow-scope example, take the 2004 proposal to kick out N-regs after 90 days’ parking on French soil. That ran until the company which then part-owned the French govt (Dassault) woke up and said “you can’t do this because a lot of the jets we sell go on the N-reg”. So it was immediately kicked into oblivion and some junior civil servant was blamed for making a terrible mistake and sent to the guillotine. Then the Brit govt did the same thing in 2005 but since most of them never watched Yes Minister, and anyway were crippled by the death penalty having been abolished in 1965 (not for treason though; that was 1998), so they ran with it for over 5 years before finding an excuse for ditching it!

I wonder if @nestor has some of his usual great input on this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message