Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

CDC sais vaccination does not have any effect on the spread of the delta variant. Vaccinated people who get infected have the same viral load as those who are not and therefore are as dangerous as unvaccinated people when it comes to spreading the virus.

Hence they recommend renewed precautions such as masks and social distancing. They also call Delta a game changer and say it is a new war now.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/30/health/breakthrough-infection-masks-cdc-provincetown-study/index.html

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That’s got to be garbage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

99% of people in hospital in the USA are unvaccinated.
96% of covid patients in France are unvaccinated.
The biggest problem appears to be pregnant women who can not get vaccinated.
It must be nearing the time when all regulations are dropped, except 1. Bar, owners, restaurants, clubs etc need to have a health warning over the door saying “although you will be very welcome, there is a risk of death through covid to the unvaccinated” or something equivalent to that on cigarette packets.🤔

France

Peter wrote:

That’s got to be garbage.

That was my first thought, but I always thought the CDC was extremely good on the science.
I suppose infectiousness has to do with virus load in the body whereas hospitalisation and death has to do with some kind of inflammation / auto-immune response (I’m not a medic).
So I guess against delta, vaccines may just help the immune system avoid the latter?
Like I said, I’m no kind of medic, so I am happy to learn from those who know better!

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

It is possible, I guess, that a person can be “infected” in the sense of testing positive but the virus doesn’t do anything.

There is no other way to explain the UK numbers, where a lot of people test positive but only very small numbers are getting ill.

The main gotcha with this situation would be foreign travel, because you could get stuck abroad

BTW one hypothesis for the sharp peak and the fast decline, discussed further back, is that schools were generating a lot of positive tests but they have just closed.

Administrator

Mooney_Driver wrote:

CDC sais vaccination does not have any effect on the spread of the delta variant. Vaccinated people who get infected have the same viral load as those who are not and therefore are as dangerous as unvaccinated people when it comes to spreading the virus.

I wonder what the authorities of EU countries will do with these findings. Many EU countries got various rules that require tests from unvaccinated and let vaccinated circulate freely (to visit a restaurant, to enter the country, etc). If the risk for a vaccinated person to infect others is not substantially lower than for a non-vaccinated person then these rules do not make sense and likely do more harm than good. My bet is they will try to ignore these findings because they effectively drove themself into a corner with all these policies.

LCPH, Cyprus

It is possible, I guess, that a person can be “infected” in the sense of testing positive but the virus doesn’t do anything.

A large percentage of the world population is infected with the herpes simplex virus with no symptoms.

T28
Switzerland

This CDC finding is bogus. They are picking up dead virus. I will post some details when I get to a PC 😀

Administrator

If this were the CDC view I expect we would see it first on the CDC website rather than as a leaked series of “internal slides”.

The current headline seems to be this:

A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) are less likely than unvaccinated persons to acquire SARS-CoV-2 or to transmit it to others. However, the risk for SARS-CoV-2 breakthrough infection in fully vaccinated people cannot be completely eliminated as long as there is continued community transmission of the virus.

Which is not very precise. For example, “less likely to transmit it to others” could only be true because the vaccinated are less likely to get infected :-)

But I doubt they were being that pedantic.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message