Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

AIUI you will need a Covid pass. If you are double jabbed it will contain a QR code showing you have been double jabbed.
You will also need this QR code from today for entry to restaurants, bars etc.
The return to the UK is a bit more complicated. Even if you have been double jabbed, you still need a PCR test before you return and then another test 2 days after return.
These are the requirements for a French National going to the UK and returning to France.
There may be differences for a UK National coming to France and then returning to the UK.
I am unsure of what exactly is required if you have not been vaccinated but I am pretty sure you will need a PCR test and as that is only valid for 72hours, I would assume you would need further testing whilst you are here because you would need proof of a valid negative test to enter restaurants, bars etc.

France

That’s not quite right. You need ANY test before you return and a PCR at day two.

EGKL, United Kingdom

As I explained that doesn’t seem the case for French Nationals coming to the UK.
Or at least that is not the information I received from the UK yesterday.

France

@Design4p posts moved to existing thread.

See further back for more info on a trip to France.

AIUI you need two vaccinations plus 2 weeks to enter France, and to return to the UK you need

• the pre-return test, which is normally a rapid test under supervision so you get a certificate
  • the Day 2 PCR test

See previous posts for some more info. Obviously the pre-return test is a major issue with airline travel because they won’t carry you without it.

For a short trip, 1 or 2 days, it appears (some disagree) that a single PCR test done before travelling is OK for the UK end. I am trying to organise a meet-up at Le Touquet as soon as the rain stops so will know for sure soon

Any new info – please post a link so it can be checked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not sure why some would disagree as it’s clearly documented here that the pre-return test can be done before traveling according to the UK Government website link here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

Taking your test in the UK before travel

If you are returning to the UK within 3 days, you can use the result of a COVID-19 test that you take in the UK before you travel. You must use a private test provider for the test and not an NHS test. The service on which you will arrive back in the UK must set off for the UK within 3 days of when you took the test

The Q is whether if travelling by GA you need to have the result of that test before leaving the UK.

That is very hard to achieve (given GA wx considerations) because most are sold by shysters who don’t deliver the result for a few days.

BTW I have another data point from an airline traveller, just back from Germany. The pre-return test is checked before boarding (by Lufthansa staff in that case) but nobody in the UK is interested in it – just as I always suspected.

Administrator

Good point Peter and indeed there are some subtleties which are not totally clear

The reg states that one test is sufficient, and by implication it needs to be a PCR test (for the day 2 requirement) but you cannot get a PCR test before leaving the UK because they take some number of days to come back with the result (most are sold by “criminals”) so you could not possibly meet the requirement for a trip of under 3 days’ duration

Administrator

Just done a trip to LFAT, so got some more data points:

• French police check the QR code printout carefully, and appear to have a means of scanning it. They also asked to see the NHS app QR code but I could not get it to run because of bad signal
  • they asked us to sign some sort of sworn statement about not infecting other people
  • at the UK end, the pre-return test is completely ignored (as on every previous occassion)
  • no questions at all asked about anything virus related
  • passports checked against the GAR form (as usual)
  • I am assuming they had access to whether the passenger locator form was filed but if so they have no access to its content which for a GA flight more or less has to contain some bogus info (it was designed for airline travel).

Note that the PLF (govt) website now requires you to have bought a PCR test, open the package, find a slip with a code on it, get onto the vendor’s website and activate the test with the details of the flight (airline, seat # etc where you have to enter garbage) and obtain a booking code which you enter into the PLF website, which then checks the code somehow (a CRC or some other hash, or via a database of kits sold). The problem is that most test kits are sold by “criminals” and the website may not work, or throws up some obscure error, in which case you cannot file the PLF! But if you don’t file the PLF the police will (on past record) question this when you return to the UK. The only way to file PLF in such a situation, I am told by another pilot, is by using an option which exempts you from getting the Day 2 etc test e.g. claiming you are a nuclear industry worker or some such.

No requirement for showing any certicate to enter shops or restaurants in France.

So, all in all, very easy!

Administrator

Thanks for the update Peter. This seems quite straightforward.

Out of interest which format / app did the French ask for the Vaccine proof? Did you need to upload the NHS certificate to the French app or was it just a printout from the UK NHS app?

Sign in to add your message