Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The Guardian is doing its best to catch up with the Daily Trash, and to their credit they did pick up the really relevant details

I doubt they were planning on doing much “activity” at a “distance”. But, hey, this is a standard business model for the luxury yacht business; same countries too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Haha, I noticed those very same details, Peter. The group was also strangely international for these times…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Hilarious news indeed.

I hope our police will remain this efficient after the lock down

Read to day that AOPA france has been asked to contribute to the transport needs against the covid. Pilots must be CPL/IR and planes must be 6+ seats and IFR.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 10 Apr 16:12
LFOU, France

I am reliably informed the jet hire was close to 30k.
The heli transport, and the entertainment catering staff on top of that.

Read to day that AOPA france has been asked to contribute to the transport needs against the covid. Pilots must be CPL/IR and planes must be 6+ seats and IFR.

That’s a useful precedent, though I guess very few pilots will be able to help. Not many IRs around. And especially very very few CPL holders flying GA. Practically all CPL holders I have ever come across who were GA owners were FAA CPL/IRs who, like myself, did it more than 10-15 years ago when there were feasible routes in Europe. And very few people operate old piston twins or the larger SEPs (the 6+ seat requirement) now; that sector has been declining for 20 years. I guess PC12 ops might be able to help.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

I wonder how that is going to work, unless this is just regular transport of people. In the northern part of Norway, there are few hospitals. Instead there is a kind of “airline” transporting patients. They use King Airs (and one C680 for longer transports)

The problem with Covid-19 patients is the King Airs aren’t large enough for the special beds they use. Some of the larger ambulance helicopters (AW139 and H-145) have room enough for these beds, but they are limited in range and speed. The solution is to modify some Widerøe Dash 8 100. (No one is flying anyway these day ) The Dash 8s are perfect, since they can go anywhere, also to Svalbard, and operate on short fields. They are much larger than a 6 seat SEP/twin/SET though, even a King air is too small.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It is not meant to carry patients, just medical staff and equipment. They say PPL/IR pilots will be asked to fly cargo-only flights (no passengers).

LFOU, France

gallois wrote:

I have a friend who, at the moment flies off in his old Mooney to visit one or other of his 3 factories he has around France. The factories produce cleansing and disinfecting products such as hand gel.He goes by plane because it allows him to get there and back during a working day.

Im pretty sure Ive seen that aeroplane on FR24 in the last few weeks. Im glad he and others arent restricted from flying. Same with maintenance flights here. At some point in the next 2 weeks Im going to have to find a way to travel outside France for work reasons myself. Not sure how thats going to work just yet.

Jujupilote wrote:

They say PPL/IR pilots will be asked to fly cargo-only flights (no passengers).

I think thats CPL/IR pilots unless I mis-understood the request?

Regards, SD..

Last Edited by skydriller at 11 Apr 06:56

Jujupilote wrote:

They say PPL/IR pilots will be asked to fly cargo-only flights (no passengers).

I would guess there are thousands of unemployed airline pilots in France as there are all other places in the world. Finding (over? ) qualified pilots should be no problem, or?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I would guess there are thousands of unemployed airline pilots in France as there are all other places in the world. Finding (over? ) qualified pilots should be no problem, or?

Yes, but being fully qualified to fly an A380/777 etc, doesnt necessarily mean you can fly a light twin, SET, or even a bizjet…

Sign in to add your message