Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Thanks, no rush as it doesn’t expire until the end of May. It’s on CAMO, but after this renewal I’m going to switch to SDMP and get the ARC issued locally from then on.

EIMH, Ireland

Austria has announced that they would be easing some restrictions. I guess it is too early to tell what that would mean for GA there.

EDMB, Germany

And thank you for the graph Peter.
I never thought oil temp rises so regularly in start/taxi/take-off/climb/cruise.

LFOU, France

Time for us all to get out there and restore the balance a bit

There is a new UK CAA concession on the required packaging of virus samples ORS4 1372 so maybe we can make use of that.

The UK CAA has finally released its “virus concession” – here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Plenty of GA flying here today

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’m jealous
We have had weeks of CAVOK, thousand of aircraft and pilots ready to be used to help on this crisis, but ….. nada

About currency, I wrote a comment on a French website. Here is what they write (comparing lock-down and the Phoney war in 1940):

The argument used in 1940 by our grandfathers to fly back – argument concerning the loss of flying skills without the possibility of training flights – no longer holds true today. The “average” leisure pilot flies 12 hours in an airplane per year and often concentrates these 12 hours in the last 3 months before the renewal of his pilot license every two years.

I got me mad so I answered :

What no longer holds? Has the human brain changed since 1940? How can we be content with what you describe? Who can believe that they are safe at the controls with such a weak and irregular practice? What you describe for the average pilot is true, but to say that it is an argument to let all the non-professional pilots of France not to fly for months is dangerous. I would add that since most of the instructors are volunteers, they cannot fly either. So when the flights resume, we will be two rusty pilots in the cockpit.
Personally, with a little over 300 hours, I feel a sharp drop in my flying acuity after about a month of non-practice. We are all different but I doubt that the majority of pilots can spend months without flying without losing their level of skill. And if they don’t realize it, I’m even more worried!

Peter, you must know the minimum altitude of FR24 MLAT detection about Shoreham. Fly below, and it won’t pick you up.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 08 Apr 11:14
LFOU, France

That’s a very good response to that French article.

Its tone is identical to what we have in the UK. Patronising and devoid of facts (i.e. how can you spread the virus by flying).

Perhaps the one thing to consider is the “provocative” angle, and fly as high as possible and not fly near population centres.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the LAA today:
“ORS 1374 issued by the CAA now extends all Class 2 medical certificates, and a number of class ratings, until 22nd November 2020”

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Interestingly Biggin Hill remains very busy with exec jets and turboprops I live under some of their flightpaths and also observed on the ADSB sites.
These have to be private flights in every sense of the word and incapable of social distancing.I used to fly corporate aircraft it’s just not possible to social distance.So the wealthy are not following the example set by the rest of us in GA.I wonder what the CAA make of this? A very useful defence for anyone carrying out an essential solo maintenance or currency flight in light GA I would have thought.
Regards all stay safe Stampe

EGMD EGTO EGKR, United Kingdom

What we do not know is the occupancy – could be single pax or a family so perhaps we should not pre-judge.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message