Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

Peter wrote:

If this is anything remotely like snowboarding, it is hardly going to be practical for most people to learn to use it, surely?

It’s definitely not for my age

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@Peter, I see the Onewheel (snowboard type) as a leisure activity. But my EUC is a workhorse delivering value daily.

@Gallois, actually the EUC uses solid state gyros, they weigh nothing. There is the 2.2kWh battery, that adds a substantial weight.

@Emir, is that a compliment for me? I am not young, I have no special motoric skills. If I could learn it, anybody can. I just wanted some fun when commuting to work, and I got it

Pavel wrote:

@Emir, is that a compliment for me? I am not young, I have no special motoric skills.

Absolutely. Because I strongly believe I would struggle. It’s not that don’t have good balance, it’s simply I’m less and less inclined to fundamentally new stuff to me as I’m getting older. I tend to do stuff that I learned to do properly long time ago.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

At first look I thought Pavel had an electric Europa monowheel, and had to look back at his pic after reading several posts. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I have spent some time looking into this.
From my (relatively small ) research I think that the Onewheel would suit me.
However I have read several stories of one having had an upset that threw the rider off in a significantly bad way. Apparently they can shutdown suddenly which at 15mph wouldn’t be funny, especially as you’re standing sideways.
They can cope with very unmade surfaces including loose surfaces but I’m still nervous of a serious accident. Especially if I end up unable to fly home.

I’ve never really considered the EUC options for long as I only saw them as suitable for nicely finished surfaces. Perhaps I should look again.

To be honest as I’m usually with the wife, folding bike is generally going to remain be the standard as she’s probably not going to want one, plus 2x 35kg is quite a lot.

United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

I tend to do stuff that I learned to do properly long time ago.

You did the ATPL exams, that single axle thingamajig has nothing on you ;)

Pavel, can you post a link to the one you have? If you did already I missed it, apologies.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

@tmo, I ride the KingSong S22 Pro, the link is here

You did the ATPL exams, that single axle thingamajig has nothing on you ;)

I have a fetish of these aviation exams since I did my first ones 40 years ago, so I repeat them from the scratch from time to time.

Last Edited by Emir at 13 Oct 14:41
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You have to ride any of these contraptions under the assumption that you WILL fall at some point and protect yourself accordingly. This realisation led to many cyclists now wearing helmets and proper motorcycle clothing has quite a bit of protection.

The risk of falling off one of these things is higher, so not something to step onto without consideration.

The comparison to snowboarding or skiing is a good one – fun activities, everybody is aware that it is risky and many protect themselves accordingly. And while quite a few people get seriously injured and die skiing and snowboarding every year, nobody bats an eyelid.

Biggin Hill

The biggest danger is using the device somewhere accessible to motor vehicles.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message