Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

https://www.kwigglebike.com/en_US

This is becoming increasingly popular in Germany (especially among GA pilots) with its unique construction.

EDLE

€1.3k. Interesting.

However, very small wheels. Many would argue this is OK for city driving, on smooth surfaces like those shown in the advert.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

europaxs wrote:

unique construction

friend on my field owns a Pulsar homebuilt and bought one since it is about the only bicycle that fits in the minute cargo hold
Well, I took it for a ride (the Kwiggle wiggle thingy) and didn’t feel too comfy: the moving saddle beam takes some time getting used to, and the geometry of the fork doesn’t invite any curb jumps.
On the other hand I wouldn’t worry about the size of the wheels too much, all of these bikes/scooters are primarily meant to be used on nice and level surfaces.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

However, very small wheels. Many would argue this is OK for city driving, on smooth surfaces like those shown in the advert.

We have 2 traditional Bromptons and I would not want anything with smaller wheels. No road surface is perfect, especially the further south we fly, and anything with smaller wheels looks like an accident waiting to happen. Going downhill from Losinj airport to the town I alread brake all the time to be safe on those tiny wheels.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Had concerns with regards to the kwiggle wheel size, too. Now, after one season of testing it, i would summarise that the problem is mainly between the ears ;-)
LJPZ to town (taking the nice bike path through the marshes) is just enjoyable. Mind you, I usually have a backpack. It is no MTB, but even footpaths or forest trails are surprisingly easy to do.
We have a 3 speed and a 6 speed. 3 speed is fine for me, but not nice through hills. The 6 speed has 2 more smaller gears and manages hills slightly better.

I can therefore wholeheartedly recommend the kwiggle, which also go comfortably through the TB baggage door and 2 are easily arranged there together with 2 trolleys.

EDM_, Germany

It is certainly smart to choose the folding bike to fit the baggage compartment of the aircraft.

But there is also the other way around.

Mr. Shaw, designer of Europa, has built his new aircraft around his preferred Dahon folding bike. It must be amazing to zoom at 180kt to your favourite biking destination.

Last Edited by Pavel at 15 Dec 17:34

Has anyone considered the risk of a fire with an e-bike?

Obviously if it catches fire when you are out, it won’t hurt you, but it is reportedly a common fire cause when charging at home. Or, dare I say it, charging in an aircraft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Still loyal to my faithful Strida Bike after 22 years use – see my post #18 above.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

recently bought one of those Micro Merlin II

Been riding it for 30+ km by now, and very happy. Had it in the airplane couple of times, and it is very easy to load/unload. Top speed 20Kmh, range is quite good, weight is 13kg. I’m also using it around town, as commuter.

The choice for e-scooters is becoming bewildering, many new models coming out, improving performance, all to make choosing difficult

Last Edited by Dan at 23 Jul 16:06
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Clearly charging is the main issue, but I’ve now lost my appetite for having either an escooter or an ebike in the aircraft.
I’ve seen many videos online of the failures and although they are usually linked by being on charge at the time, I’ve seen a lithium battery that wasn’t on charge overheat in my RC Heli days.
I accept the risk from my phone and ipads as they are usually to hand, are smaller, and I prey have a QC level that’s high enough to swing the odds in my favour just a little more.
If apple or Samsung decide to make ebikes or escooters I may reconsider. But we have managed well with our cheap regular folding bikes so far, and take them almost everywhere.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message