Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A bike / scooter to carry in the back of the plane (including electric ones)?

@Capitaine, yes, it fits in the plane. It is 35kg, but great performer, takes you anywhere up to 40km and back easily, 4kW nominal and 7kW peak power, off-road capabilities with suspension.

How it balances:

• forwards/backwards – the built-in sensors and electronics keep the foot pedals horizontal. If you lean forward (your weight goes to the toes), the wheel moves forward. If you keep leaning, the wheel keeps running. The same for leaning backwards (weight on heels), the wheel decelerates. This balance is the responsibility of the hardware and software.
  • sideways – your responsibility. Like on bike or skis.

How easy is to learn:
It is really designed to be easy (otherwise it would be not sellable).
I spent one hour with the kitchen desk on my right hand side and bar table on the left to keep my balance, just moving forward and backward. Next day another hour. The day after I went out to an abandoned street to further practice. The day after I made my first trip from home to office and back.
I set initially my speed limit to 20km/h, and with every 100km on my odometer I increased it for 5km/h, as I was becoming more and more comfortable. Now I go up to 60km/h and it all feels just natural.

My journey to work consists of public roads, park streets, unpaved forest and field trails, uphill and downhill, so when I reach my office desk I am grinning from ear to ear.

35kg is a huge weight, but probably to be expected for the performance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ten times less energy consumed than Tesla (electric is not green, consuming less energy is greener)

I thought this would be an underestimate, but doing the sums it seems that a model 3 will do 270 miles on 57kWh or of batteries or 5.7 miles per kWh, and the Honda Motocompacto is said to have a range of 12 miles on 1.5kWh, or 8 miles per kWh. So to my surprise the factor is rather less than 2. In fact, considering that a Tesla can carry several people you can argue that it is potentially several times more efficient than the scooter.

This sets aside the question of the amount of energy needed to make the battery pack and maintain the large roads and car parks that a Tesla needs. I realise that the x10 was meant figuratively, but it seemed too interesting a comparison not to share.

Edit… I see that you are riding something different Pavel, and not the Motocompacto. Still an interesting comparison!

Last Edited by kwlf at 11 Oct 11:27

A colleague of mine rides a monowheel similar to the one shown by @Pavel, but a smaller version (35 km/h, 15-18 kg), and is similarly enthusiastic about it. He learned riding within several days and has ridden about 2000 km in half a year. Interestingly, the contraption features regenerative braking, so the battery is charged when going downhill.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

There’s one called the OneWheel that seemingly does 60 miles per kWh so either the Motocompacto specs are incorrect, or the designers have got something very wrong.

@kwlf, the display of my electric unicycle (EUC) shows an average of 27Wh per km. Tesla Model X takes 270Wh per km, ten times more energy to move the person around. Source here .

This also shows the beauty of propaganda – it is easy to pick information to make an impact. I could have selected instead a Tesla Model 3 to compare, but the multiplier would be much less convincing

As to number of seats, I am making a comparison within my mission profile – one person commuting to work. I think this is very common even among the Tesla owners.

The OneWheel was something I wanted to use. As the driver (pilot?) shall stand on it sideways, for me, a snowboarder, it had a special appeal. I rented it once to try, and I got a lot of excitement ending by a big crash . I then went for my EUC, and I’ve found it much safer, much easier to control, and much better performing.

Pavel can you explain the difference between a one wheel and an EUC. I have seen a lot of people in Brest scooting along racing the trams on one wheel devices, even walking/exercising their dogs and going up and down kerbs.
They look great to just pop in the aircraft.
If I can pluck up the courage I would love to try one.

France

@gallois, sure, with pleasure:
EUC, the Electric Unicycle, is a category. This category represents self-balancing vehicle with a single wheel.
Onewheel is a name of the company as well as name of its products, self-balancing single-wheeled vehicles.

The Onewheel looks like this:

What is unique with Onewheel is the stance of the rider, who stays on it sideways, similar to riding a snowboard:

Then there are about four (AFAIK) main manufacturers of single-wheeled vehicles with plethora of models, all of them with rider facing the direction of travel (such as on the picture in my previous post).

The purist in me would say that Onewheel is also EUC. But, it seems that the community uses the word Onewheel to address those particular products, and EUC for all others (excluding Onewheel).

My short and very dynamic experience with Onewheel and subsequent trial of EUC made my choice easy. Also, the definition of my mission profile (I am big and heavy, plus backpack, and want to commute every day 60km with reserve on unpaved roads at a reasonable speed) helped to choose the model. Its weight came with it, and was not a blocking factor.

Gallois, if you ever pass by Czech Republic, drop in. It will be my pleasure to help you get the taste of EUC riding.

Last Edited by Pavel at 12 Oct 11:15

Thanks for the information and generous offer Pavel. What I have seen at Brest is not a one wheel like that. It is just a wheel and you seem to stand on it with your ankles facing in to the wheel, ie there is no board like a skateboard or snowboard and therefore you don’t ride it with one foot in front of the wheel and one foot behind it.
I think, therefore, what I have seen are EUCs and I have to admit that from what I have seen, they are very impressive for personal travel. But from what you describe, they are a lot heavier than they look. Is most of that the weight of gyros?

France

If this is anything remotely like snowboarding, it is hardly going to be practical for most people to learn to use it, surely? Also 35kg is a huge weight to move in and out of the luggage compartment of a plane. And if the battery goes flat, it will be totally immobile.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message