Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Climate change

maxbc wrote:

the strongest parties / candidates right now are probably the ones promoting nuclear power

In Norway the discussion is nuclear power vs wind power Nuclear seem to gain more and more traction, from zero traction only a few years ago. If there ever will be a new nuclear plant commissioned in my life time, is highly doubtful. One the other hand, I will be rather disappointed in the human race in general if it wasn’t

The only relevant alternative to air travel, is train, in some cases boat. Train must be orders of magnitude less CO2.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ultranomad wrote:

Bottom line: drive less and eat less carbon-intensive food [or just kill yourself]. Flying contributes only about 2.5% to worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

The latter is the one which I’ve been confronted with several time by such people running out of arguments. Killing off 99% of mankind only keeping the “intelligent nucleus” (them) would save the planet for sure. Failing that, make life as miserable as they can for anyone refusing to kill themselves until they are ready to do so or maybe have a nice little war or pandemic to take care of it.

This kind of logic is what makes people like that radicals without any merit of discussing solutions with them.

Heaven knows, if things go as they appear, they might get their wishes faster as they can unglue from the motorways they currently occupy (if they do in this weather). If they still are as enthusiastic about killing off mankind once they start getting their own ar$es targetet I’d think is doubtful though.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Ultranomad wrote:
Bottom line: drive less and eat less carbon-intensive food [or just kill yourself]. Flying contributes only about 2.5% to worldwide greenhouse gas emissions.

Another factor is: living in a flat, not a house – substantially reduced heating costs, more compact living with less transportation required. Although in the UK that would start a revolt…

And my favourite – use less AI and social networks! :) Will save a lot of electricity.

EGTR

LeSving wrote:

In Norway the discussion is nuclear power vs wind power

I think Norway is a bit special because there is so much renewable already (hydraulic). When I came to Norway, I found the sheer amount of water quite striking. You can go hiking for 5 days with a 1L bottle and never run out of drinking water :)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Killing off 99% of mankind only keeping the “intelligent nucleus” (them) would save the planet for sure.

I can understand where they’re coming from, but it’s still really short-sighted IMO. We live in a prosperous society because so many people work and desire the same things (which makes said things cheaper). So many things could not exist with 1% of the population, because there would be no market for them, and that would be a net loss for everyone still around.

France

use less AI and social networks! :) Will save a lot of electricity.

Surely only crap like bitcoin mining uses loads of power.

substantially reduced heating costs, more compact living with less transportation required. Although in the UK that would start a revolt…

I don’t think so; most of the UK lives in apartments is various kinds. Or terrace houses.

The only relevant alternative to air travel, is train, in some cases boat. Train must be orders of magnitude less CO2.

I would research that. Look up the power the TGV draws.

Also having lights on, and more heating, ought to reduce pregnancies, and the latter results in vastly more energy being used over the next ~80 years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

having lights on, and more heating, ought to reduce pregnancies, and the latter results in vastly more energy being used over the next ~80 years

For sure the key issue in maintaining a pleasant environment for human beings is population control. If the whole world wants to live well it requires enough energy, goods production and land per capita, and that likely requires worldwide population reduction over time. The mental energy being wasted on the CO2 per capita stuff in Europe is ridiculous in comparison with what’s going on in the big, wide world as huge numbers of people work to increase their living standard. The tangible benefit in Europe will be a little more energy security in countries that have already expanded population beyond their resources, in exchange for a lower living standard – as described by some here: less travel and more regulation on free movement, less land, cramped housing, restricted diet. But to the extent that people are wasting their time and efforts, this too shall pass (people will see the net negative effects eventually).

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Apr 18:47

Peter wrote:

use less AI and social networks! :) Will save a lot of electricity.
Surely only crap like bitcoin mining uses loads of power.

Peter, the whole Facbook consumption is horrendous! If you add Instragram etc, it adds to a very large numbers.

substantially reduced heating costs, more compact living with less transportation required. Although in the UK that would start a revolt…
I don’t think so; most of the UK lives in apartments is various kinds. Or terrace houses.

Not correct!
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/bulletins/housingenglandandwales/census2021#main-points
“Across England and Wales, 77.9% (19.3 million) of households lived in a house or bungalow, 21.7% (5.4 million) lived in a flat, maisonette or apartment and 0.4% (104,000) lived in a caravan, or other mobile or temporary structure.
The proportion of households living in a flat, maisonette or apartment increased the most over the decade, from 21.0% (4.9 million) in 2011 to 21.7% (5.4 million) in 2021.”

EGTR

That includes terrace houses; look at any poor area, and there are many of those, in every country in Europe. Long streets of them, each heating up the neighbours.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That includes terrace houses; look at any poor area, and there are many of those, in every country in Europe. Long streets of them, each heating up the neighbours.

Peter, but the ground floor and the attic are not! There was a research and the flats are more efficient in terms of heating. Especially if it is boiler(s) per block of flats…

EGTR

Indeed, the communists did that very well

(where I lived; Pribram – 1961-1969; photo is from 2008)

Administrator
Sign in to add your message