Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Pic of the day… Gruppo di Brenta from FL120, a few miles NW of Trento, Italy

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Awesome photo, wonderful clarity.

Beautiful lighting and range of contrast

Of course you have an unfair advantage… I went on a photography course many years ago and the teacher said, to my surprise, that if you want to get amazing pics, you need to buy an airline ticket

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fantastic depth in that image Dan

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks guys, but that was an easy one. As in no need to fly close to some menacing Cumulus Granitus, or tight turning to manoeuvre in a narrow valley, or just fight the usual turbulence… no, this one was a piece of cake.
Crystal clear air, spot and approach that natural rock arena, position the aircraft, lower the right wing, snap-snap, then fly home (but first go get that pizza ). Then keep the best of the 5 shots taken, post on EuroGA.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan well I noted that your picture even looks better than what I get with my eyes looking outside the window. I really have to clean the windows! 😂

You really need a clean piece of windshield to get such photos 😉

Last Edited by UdoR at 02 Apr 20:59
Germany

Some photos of my return flight from the North Sea to Düsseldorf late afternoon towards Holland.

EDLE

@UdoR I had to laugh at your comment about cleaning the windows. It reminds me of a very well known and highly respected cinematographer I had the pleasure to work quite often. He had what he used to call his “snot filter” (typical Brit humour). It consisted of rubbing the side of his nose (not in it) and then spreading the grease produced on a clear filter in front of the lens. It made many well known actresses look much better than they perhaps felt on an early morning call. Ahh the glamour of it all😁

France

It reminds me of a very well known and highly respected cinematographer I had the pleasure to work quite often. He had what he used to call his “snot filter” (typical Brit humour). It consisted of rubbing the side of his nose (not in it) and then spreading the grease produced on a clear filter in front of the lens. It made many well known actresses look much better than they perhaps felt on an early morning call. Ahh the glamour of it all

Soft focus is a well known method

In Lightroom (or many other tools) you can use Noise Reduction to do it very quickly. In the days of film, there were filters you could buy for this.

For movies, video editors have this functionality too. But it can get laborious because different scenes need different tweaks, hence the “animated” effects feature. I haven’t used it much but did so a few times when descending to a runway through 15000ft of haze; this needed an animated “custom curves” filter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes soft focus filters have been around for years but then so have I. But sometimes you just haven’t ordered up the right filter beforehand and one has to improvise. I have always admired the top cinematographers and photographers for their ability to improvise.👍

France
Sign in to add your message