Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Checking TV tower in Slovenia.

Last Edited by Emir at 22 Oct 11:33
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Any ideas what are these crosses are for? Pic with phone, 17 October.. They are on Google Earth.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 22 Oct 20:54
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I don’t know about those crosses. However, a long time ago in my youth I worked as a surveyor in the Canadian arctic. We would occasionally lay down big crosses in wide orange flagging at recognisable map locations (e.g. at a point on a lakeshore). We would GPS them precisely, which would allow the next round of satellite images (with the crosses in them) to be correctly geolocated. I don’t know the details, but I think we did it as a favour to the government or ordinance survey groups.

The ones in these picture look similar, but perhaps more permanent?

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I took this picture last week when crossing the Grand Canyon southbound through the Dragon Corridor at 10.500ft. These seem to be the remnants of the recent fires near Flagstaff.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

today’s pic… flying in the Alps in Föhny conditions is generally not recommended, nor for the faint hearted This morning was no exception with a southerly breeze peaking 45kts acc my Garmin wind vector. Still, some nice views on the usual granite faces, or as here over the Balmshorn, (12’133’) looking towards Kandersteg

Last Edited by Dan at 23 Oct 15:05
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

peaking 45kts

Definitely a good reason to fly alone! I once crossed a 10000ft ridge at low level in 20KTS winds (my personal mountain flying limit) and it left a lasting impression on my pax

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I never get tired of this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I never get tired of this

And why would you? Enjoy!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Interesting Alps crossings today, but that pizza sure tasted good… pic of the day, the valley of Lauterbrunnen, famous for its cliffs, and the base jumping taking place there…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’m beginning to dislike retired people.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message