Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German / Swiss noise-dependent landing charges / noise certificate (merged thread)

“Last but not least, the airport personell itself does often not really understand all this mess, which is good because they often put you into a better category than you really are.”

Then the guys at EDMA are experts because they charge the max without a certificate even when though many C210s have landed there in the past with noise certificates and none are in the worst category. So yes they are experts; at collecting fees.

My aircraft has a modified engine and its prop turns at 2700 RPM and whose tips are sub sonic compared to the standard prop which is 2800 RPM and supersonic. So it is not a standard 210 and the noise certificate indicates that it is quieter than a standard 210.

KHTO, LHTL

Achim You are right with the statement " BTW, one of the most important reasons for the noise dependent landing charges is that it is a very good measure to appease the locals. Noise is a permanent issue and a threat to every airfield. Being able to say that the airport punishes loud aircraft is a strong argument. Every airport/airfield has to demonstrate that it is doing something to deal with the noise problem."

However there are not too many airports that that were erected in the middle of a city. Where houses were torn down to make room for a runway. Most were built away from population centers. There are a few exceptions like Berlin. For whatever reason no matter how far away these airports are from population centers houses seem to appear around it as quickly as barnacles on a ships hull. And just as surely as the sun rises and daylight begins in the morning these same people start to complain about the noise.

KHTO, LHTL

We get the same here in the UK. The vast majority of houses near airfields came after the airfield. Also perhaps 99.9% of the occupants bought the house after the airfield.

I think all this is envy. Envy is everywhere but is worse in some countries than others.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For whatever reason no matter how far away these airports are from population centers houses seem to appear around it as quickly as barnacles on a ships hull.

What we see now is that the housing areas close to airfields (which are almost always from the 1960s or earlier) were developed at attractive prices — due to the airfield and their remote location. People were very happy about the opportunity and built their houses. Now they are retired and suddenly annoyed by the aircraft, sit on their balcony all day with binoculars and write down registrations.

Still, the interest of the population in quiet housing areas is considered to be 1000x more important than the interest of private pilots in producing noise and that is rightfully so. We have to compromise and the aviators are in the weaker position. It will never be like in the US where the city council postpones renovation of a kindergarden because the airport lighting needs to be replaced.

And yet, the aerodrome density of Germany (inhabitants per aerodrome) is comparable to the United States. Still a lot of freedom over here.

The reason they didn’t ask you for the noise certificate is that during Aero, they operate a package deal (= a rip-off) where the fee is 65€ without any differentiation concerning noise.

The Aero price list did say there was an additional charge of €40-something if your noise level was too high.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Apr 07:06
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wouldn’t call it “envy”. I think it’s intolerance. When I visited a meeting of an anti airport group some years ago I talked to some of the people there and one guy (who wore a sweatshirt with an airplane ;-)) looked at me and went: “Why do you have to fly up there, when I don’t do that”. But it didn’t sound like “envy” – it more sounded like “why would anybody want to do something I don’t do” I left early …

That same group put a Lufthansa B737 on their website to protest against our airport (900 m runway …). But they removed that after I contacted Lufthansa ;-)

The Whitehall Study may provide a few hints as to why people behave in this way against airports or anything else other people do.

There is also something in human nature that makes people try to be relatively better off than others. If that is not easily achievable, people try to make others be lower than they are. The reason for that is biologic and cultural. Some cultures offer more ways to mitigate the effects than others.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 22 Apr 12:04
Frequent travels around Europe

That sounds perfectly plausible.

The airport I fly out of now was a former military airport. They had soviet fighter jets taking off day and night. They were not loud but extremely loud. Today its a VFR day only field. The majority of the movements are by Diamond training aircraft with Rotax engines. If you have 20 T.O.s and landings in an hr its a lot. You can barely hear them. But there is one guy who is obsessed and complains constantly. Feel like taking my motorcycle for an hours ride around his house about 4-5 am . Then he’ll have something to complain about.

KHTO, LHTL

Noise Certificate for N2136E PA-28RT-201
OK, I’ve read all this thread (speed read).
@ 06 – make your own – HOW ?
Does anybody have a ‘template’ – do you just entre ANY db figures? Sure you don’t.
Anybody got a ’readymade certificate for a PA-28RT-201 Arrow IV ?
@ 27 – FAA require all opperating overseas to have a Noise Certificate.

I asked Piper Europe (Germany) for one (NC) and got this ‘strange’ reply:-

“Sorry, but we could not issue a noise certificate for a US-Registrated Aircraft.
As I know all US-Reg Airplane are flying without such certificate.
For further questions don’t hesitate to contact me at any time"

Note, I have asked them to explain.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 28 Jul 12:13
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Warley,

I fly an Arrow IV as well and will send you a copy of my noise certificate this coming weekend.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message