Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Becoming a French Pilot - blog

I just (finally) finished writing a blog article about my experience of becoming a French pilot, thanks to BASA. In case anyone is interested, it’s here .

Last Edited by johnh at 14 Oct 18:02
LFMD, France

Wow, @johnh, that’s quite the odyssey you went through! Glad to hear it all worked out in the end and that you’re back in the air.

Just finished reading your blog. Good work, nicely written and very informative, thanks for that.

As you discovered, things for sure are different, more complicated, and therefore more expensive, in the non-united states of the old continent, than in the US
Languages, cultures, national prides, religions, politics, media, etc, have unfortunately made Europe what it is now. I’ve been living, and flying in different EU countries, and each one sure has the better system than the other one… the sad reality is that the countries are at war with each other, letting the so important national protection and pride being the winners…
EASA, same the European Union, would have been the chance for harmonization and simplification, but alas, was also sent down the drain.

Nevertheless, I sincerely hope you will find a way to fit in this intricate system, and enjoy all your flying around and across Europe

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

We do all have different things we are trying to protect. And that’s GA pilots themselves not necessarily NAAs or Governments and EASA, like ICAO can only harmonize as far as we as pilots will allow it.
Like it or not, we are different and have different goals, different backgrounds and different languages, not just from country to country but also from region to region and perhap ton to town. These differences go back centuries if not millenia. You can’t just wave a wand and turn us all, suddenly into a United States of Europe.

France

EASA, same the European Union, would have been the chance for harmonization and simplification, but alas, was also sent down the drain.

It’s not so bad judging by your weekly posts, isn’t it.
Do you fly on a swiss national license?
Do you need passport checks when landing somewhere abroad during your routine flights?

EASA issues AOCs now, so first steps of executive power are already done.

We do all have different things we are trying to protect.

Like what? Anything in peril?
Sorry but this sounds like the typical politician’s hot air.

Take a look at the USA. Great and easy flying all around.
Imagine how it would be if it were 50 independent countries.
You have a Florida license? Can’t fly a Texas registered plane.
Exactly what one country in Europe decided to go for a few years back.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 15 Oct 15:01
always learning
LO__, Austria

This is meant to be an attempt at humour, so please no one get offended, but John has become a pilot licensed by the French CAA, he will become a true French pilot once he embraces the insider knowledge about which French rules and regulations matter, and which are around for the sake of someone having a job ;)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

he will become a true French pilot once he embraces the insider knowledge about which French rules and regulations matter

This applies to everything in France, not just flying! Parking in any large town requires years of experience to know where you can park even though it’s illegal, where you may get a ticket, and where you may get towed. When my wife lived in Paris she knew the towing system so well that once she got to the pound before her car.

By the way I never actually stopped flying, apart from a couple of months after my accident when I didn’t have anything to fly and didn’t feel much like it anyway. Though if I hadn’t bought my TB20 I suspect the aeroclub system would have got old for me fairly rapidly.

LFMD, France

Speaking from personal experience, albeit in Poland, not France, it probably would have. It did for me, hence the Mooney.
But, to be fair, I think every place has its own set of ‘isms’. For example, in Chicago, speed limit on highways is 55, yet everyone, including da polis, drives 75-80, traffic permitting. Probably not much different in, say, LA.
Anyway – congrats and enjoy, it will only get better!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Holy Cow, that’s long! Very nice write up :D.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 15 Oct 17:00
LFMD, France

Very nice write up!

Can’t help but relate… I also went through the transition of converting FAA licenses and flying experience into Europe, though I did it in the UK there is a lot of similarities with your story about flying culture shock :)

EGTF, United Kingdom
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message