Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When can an approach procedure be started at a point which is not a published IAF?

I can’t decipher the relevance of half the posts no matter how I read them. Neither can others…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think it’s worth discussing SERA.8015 in this context, I am not sure why you think it’s irrelevant?

I see lot of flaws for this to apply,

• Is approche included in flight plan? No, my understanding only STAR+IAF
  • Were ATC Radar rated & equipped? Likely no or can’t give vectors
  • Was there an IFR clearance? No, uncontrolled flight in Golf at FL70

SERA.8015: when vectoring or assigning a direct routing not included in the flight plan, which takes an IFR flight off published ATS route or instrument procedure, an air traffic controller providing ATS surveillance service shall issue clearances such that the prescribed obstacle clearance exists at all times until the aircraft reaches the point where the pilot re-joins the flight plan route or joins a published ATS route or instrument procedure

“Radar & Approach ATC owns obstacle clearance”, AFAIK this is wrong in few situations when PIC is flying IFR in Golf, it will be good to have a reference?

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 20:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I know that should work in my GPS: direct IAF (activate approach & load missed) and later scroll and direct IF or any other points (as long as it’s not close to FAF), still I was always told you should not do that and rather activate legs

It is very common in the US to be cleared direct to an IF to begin an approach. ATC has limitations to do that however, they are supposed to advise the pilt at least 5 NM from the IF and the intercept angle to the intermediate leg can be no more than 90 degrees. ATC can also clear the aircraft to a step down fix outside the FAF, but the intercept angle is limited to 30 degrees. One approach where most approach clearances are to the IF is found at KPAO direct to DOCAL. A similar situation exists at KJQF RNAV 20 or ILS 20, where most approach clearances are to the IF LEEMO. In these cases, activating the leg ending at the IF would not follow the clearance, but direct-to would. Some GPS navigators won’t accept direct-to the FAF, but will accept direct o any other fix on the procedure prior to the FAF.

Also, many IAF also have a PT (Procedure Turn) or HILPT (Hold In Lieu of a Procedure Turn) located at an IAF and the PT or HILPT must be flown unless one of 4 exceptions apply 1 – vectors to final, 2 – Cleared straight In, 3 No PT is charted on the segment being flown, and 4 – Timed approaches in use.

kpao_rnav_31_pdf
kjqf_ils_20_pdf
kjqf_rnav_20_pdf

Last Edited by NCYankee at 17 Nov 21:45
KUZA, United States
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
104 Posts
Sign in to add your message