Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New youngest pilot to fly around the world? Heading off tomorrow...

Ibra wrote:

While I like to believe it’s an easy achievement to “round the world”, after all it’s just money & time and will that any pilot can do it, but not many actually do ;)

Might well be that this “I pay for everything and just want to do it so I can tell everybody I did” way of going round the world is not really attractive for most…

Germany

With enough range you can do RTW with no stops.

What range is needed for 8 countries?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have seen far more worse ways of spending own/dad money at the age of 18 years old, but I beleive an RTW is not one of them…

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Jul 10:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

UdoR wrote:

Like obtaining the pilots licence on the day of 18th birthday and leaving the same day, then it depends on the plane’s performance. Could you do an integrated class to hold, on the day of the 18th birthday, even the IR?

In the US you can solo at 16, and get a private certificate at 17. To get an instrument rating you must be 17 with a Private so I can’t immediately see a reason why the period between your 16th and 17th birthday couldn’t be used to complete training for both Private Certificate and Instrument rating, with the check rides for both in rapid succession after your 17th birthday. No school is required for either, just a flight instructor and you can train with an instructor for anything at any age.

The best stick and rudder pilot I know is about 50 now, but started at about age 12, flying around in a Citabria with a flight instructor (his dad) in the back seat. He was doing two-ship canopy to canopy Pitts aerobatic displays with his dad at age 18, with a low level display authorization.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Jul 13:43

Peter wrote:

What range is needed for 8 countries?

No more than the range needed to cross the Atlantic.

(Andyr to Brevik is just 400NM – so if you have somebody to solve Russia for you and ship avgas to Brevik it’s just a brief hop)

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 14 Jul 16:56
Germany

That’s about 2500nm, Europe to US.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

No – longest leg is about 1200km

Germany

I think the logistics of getting visas, over fly permits, insurance (health liability hull) etc for an 18 year old are incredible, especially at the current time. The legal fees to secure a NIE (National Interest Exemption USA Visa) for someone not eligible for a B1 flight crew visa would have been a fair budget item, let alone CanPass through Nunavit and the Russian legs.

The fact that this pilot accomplished this is still a good achievement for GA.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No – longest leg is about 1200km

Any detail on that?

The fact that this pilot accomplished this is still a good achievement for GA.

It appears from earlier info that they started 2+ years ago. Maybe before-CV19 – would that be possible?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Any detail on that?

Isn’t that about the Greenland route? Nobody dares to go on a straight line over the atlantic with a SEP, or am I wrong here?

Germany
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one