Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New youngest pilot to fly around the world? Heading off tomorrow...

Frans wrote:

Yes, the questions if he needs a record like this (or not) are valid… but if that is his dream: Why not?!

Why not? Because youngest round the world sailing records have shown where it leads to: A rat race to do it even couple of days earlier, often not driven by the individual itself but rather by the parents, etc. and not looking at the (physical and emotional) risk for the individual".

Not presuming anything in this individual case discussed here – but such cases will happen if we don’t stop the “youngest” race.

Germany

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

I’m thinking doing it in a straight float seaplane, but that might be too tricky :-)

This was impressive in LSA amphibian, although he had bigger wheels than STOL tundra Cubs ;)

https://www.smh.com.au/national/flying-solo-around-the-world-in-sea-plane-lands-melbourne-pilot-adventurer-of-the-year-20161026-gsaynz.html

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

I’ll wait few years to qualify as the oldest

Let’s do it together, and then as the slowest ones

Maybe even in a flying boat or similar, just flying from one country to the next – it is the journey, which is the reward, and not any record.

Never understood why anyone wanted to do such a “record flight”, where a whole team of people prepares anything for you. And in the end, it’s a waste of ressources, seen all and nothing, been there but not really, and right from the beginning with the head already into returning home as fast as possible.

Germany

Wonder why he’s setting off right now, into a Covid-riddled world. Would miss is chance to be the youngest ??

PS: didn’t watch the video

Youngest pilot to do X always reminds me of the Jessica Dubroff crash (which was one of the drivers behind limiting manufacturer liability (the GARA) on planes in the USA to 18 years after manufacture – everyone got sued in that case, and it was high profile). In any case at 7 years old it was a bit silly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Dubroff

Andreas IOM

172driver wrote:

Wonder why he’s setting off right now, into a Covid-riddled world. Would miss is chance to be the youngest ??

He wanted to go last year, but it got delayed due to covid. Now it seems possible, and he’ll have 14 days of buffer before losing the record.
Definitely the record attempt.

LSZH, Switzerland

I wonder why the video was pulled? I doubt it was due to anything here on EuroGA, because the video is also on the Flying Reporter’s website and is dead there too.

Let’s hope he doesn’t do a forced landing somewhere, and an instructor is seen crawling out of the wreckage

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

where is the feat being the youngest?
Better look here https://www.earthrounders.com
Quite a few of them had to work way harder at fulfilling their dream, regardless of their age…

Last Edited by Dan at 27 May 15:32
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The video has been re-uploaded and is now public again.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Because youngest round the world sailing records have shown where it leads to: A rat race to do it even couple of days earlier, often not driven by the individual itself but rather by the parents, etc. and not looking at the (physical and emotional) risk for the individual".
I do agree with your argumentation and feel the worries about his goal, especially because of the time pressure. On the other hand: If it is truly his will to do it… we shouldn’t ruin the dreams of such a young man. Yes, the time pressure is very bad. I do agree with that. But I do also believe that an 18-year-old person could do such a trip in a safe manner. It’s therefore quite sad that he lost a year of time due to Covid. On the other hand: He is now an adult and hopefully way more prepared.
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one