Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Eurocontrol CTOT / airport slot assignments for light GA and how to get around them

Cobalt wrote:

How much controller workload is involved in “XXXXX, Radar Contact”, and quite some time later “XXXX, Contact XXX on YYY, good-bye”?

If that was all the controllers did, we wouldn’t need any controllers!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

:-D That did not come across well, apologies…

Of course controllers do a lot more. But if you fly through a volume of airspace along the flight planned route and the next flight is at least 5,000 ft or tens of miles away from you, you don’t create any discernible workload at all, you are just a blip wandering ever so slowly across the screen.

Sure, if the weather turns bad, you ask for shortcuts etc etc the controller will be working like a one-armed paper hanger.

The average workload created by a light aircraft in empty flight levels is lower than the average workload for the “normal” aircraft,
On the other hand – the same light aircraft trying to get through a busy TMA with multiple approach and departure routes creates a significantly higher workload.

ATC capacity calculations in IFPS do not take that into account, leading to annoying results for everyone.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 06 Oct 22:08
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

But if you fly through a volume of airspace along the flight planned route and the next flight is at least 5,000 ft or tens of miles away from you, you don’t create any discernible workload at all,

The workload is created by a) frequently checking, the next flight is really that far away and b) making sure it stays that way.

Germany

This number doesn’t work.

+496978072500

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Sorry, they changed numbers when they moved from Frankfurt into a place just outside Frankfurt a few years ago. Try: +49 6103 7075500

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Oct 14:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have these on my phone; no idea how old or who they go to
+33 169 881750
+32 2745 1950

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Sorry, they changed numbers when they moved from Frankfurt into a place just outside Frankfurt a few years ago. Try: +49 6103 7075500

That worked, I managed to get a slot for tomorrow. They allow 5 days in advance the chap on the phone told me.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Good!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Good!

I’ll try to be early where I can ;)

EGSG, United Kingdom

It didn’t work out as planned, more on that another day but got my return slot home. Presume it’s a CTOT time or is it my EOBT?

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message