Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Germany with BZF E

ophirmm wrote:

I do speak German (not a native speaker, though) but have only a BZF E. So I have no problem communicating in German with the Flugleiter and with the other pilots but apparently this is illegal. Yes, I could probably go for a BZF I (or in the future AZF, and not AZF E) but that would be a challenge; the stressful environment of the practical examination is not so much fun for someone who is not a native speaker.
If you have a German PPL-license, than yes, you would need to have at least a BZF 1 or optional AZF. But you can do those tests also at your local CAA (e.g. Bezirksregierung/Bezirkspräsidium), so you don’t need the strict test at the Bundesnetzagentur. In the end, you don’t need the BZF itself anymore, but the R/T-permissions English and German registered in your flight license. This is new since 2017. Several new pilots I know don’t have a BZF/AZF at all anymore, but just the permissions registered in their license. I have both (BZF 1) and the R/T-permissions registered in my PPL, plus LP of course, which is separate from R/T.

CharlieRomeo wrote:
So we have a quite large delta between the published opening hours and the maximum possible hours, which means that our Flugleiter is able to extend their duty hours if they are asked and have the spare time without any problems regarding the airfield approval.
Yes, that’s very often possible and for little club airfields mostly also free of charge. Other airfields do ask however expensive PPR-fees, 20-60 euros “PPR-service” per movement is quite common. My two German homebases are even charging those PPR-fees for homebased pilots, even if the Flugleiter is someone you know privately. In the end, it’s the airfield operator how get the PPR-money and not the Flugleiter, how just comes as a volunteer.

gallois wrote:
Most Dutch people I have spoken to seems to speak 3 or 4 languages fluently. Very impressive.
It’s awesome that you look so positive towards the language skills of us Dutch people, but we’re not so good at different languages as people might think of us abroad. Yes, it’s true that a lot of Dutch people can speak quite good to almost near-native English, plus some basic French and/or German, but that’s it. Actually, I’m quite shocked that more and more young people from the Netherlands don’t learn (proper) German anymore. It’s just not a “sexy” language and young people assume that everybody abroad speaks English as well.
Last Edited by Frans at 14 Apr 14:16
Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

Absolutely! The main point about the last 5 pages, however, is, that there is no easy way to legalize it – as whatever the airport operator, Flugleiter, etc. would say to you would not change something at the fact that it is technically illegal.
The only ways to legalize would either be to apply for a single case exemption with the local oversight authority for the airfield (which btw. is done sometimes e.g. for airshows but is not really practical for an individual flight) or to get the right papers like a BZF I/II or German LP.

Frans wrote:

If you have a German PPL-license, than yes, you would need to have at least a BZF 1 or optional AZF. But you can do those tests also at your local CAA (e.g. Bezirksregierung/Bezirkspräsidium), so you don’t need the strict test at the Bundesnetzagentur. In the end, you don’t need the BZF itself anymore, but the R/T-permissions English and German registered in your flight license. This is new since 2017. Several new pilots I know don’t have a BZF/AZF at all anymore, but just the permissions registered in their license. I have both (BZF 1) and the R/T-permissions registered in my PPL, plus LP of course, which is separate from R/T.

Please educate me about the other options: the Language Proficiency one or the local test at the local CAA? Never heard about these options.

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

First: German Language Proficiency is not necessary if you have a valid English LP according to EASA FCL55.

Second: You need the German radio license (R/T) only if you have a German flight license (PPL/CPL etc.) and want to operate the radios in German. You can earn the rights for German R/T in two ways: 1. You do the classical BZF1 test at the Bundesnetzagentur, or 2. you go to your local CAA (Bezirksregierung) and do a German R/T test at their office (mostly at the place where they do theoretical tests for PPL). With the last option, you won’t get a BZF1 certificate, but you’ll get the R/T rights registered directly in your flight license.

In case of any doubt, just give your local CAA a call and ask for help.

Last Edited by Frans at 14 Apr 18:20
Switzerland

Interesting, thank you.

Does the R/T test at the local CAA is similar to the one at the Bundesnetzagentur and includes both a theoretical and a practical sections?

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

The test at the local CAA is only practical, as the theoretical part is now included in the official PPL theory exams since begin 2017. The classical way of obtaining a BZF at the Bundesnetzagentur is more or less obsolete, since the subject “Communication” is mandatory for the theoretical exams anyway, even if you already have a BZF. The practical part is quite identical to the classic BZF exam, however, they do it often in smaller groups (or even just 1 by 1) and in a more relaxed setting, at least that is the case for our local CAA (Bezirksregierung Münster). They do just a simulated departure and arrival for EDDG, which is a small and easy airport to do.

Last Edited by Frans at 14 Apr 21:11
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

German Language Proficiency is not necessary if you have a valid English LP according to EASA FCL55.

First: FCL.55 talks about the right to operate the plane – not the right to operate the radio in any specific language. Therefore FCL.55 is just not relevant for the question in this thread.

Second: Nobody ever said that German-LP is necessary. I would argue, though, that BZF-E and German-LP is sufficient to operate the radio in German. And obtaining a German LP4 could be significantly easier for the OP than a BZF-1 (as he does speak conversational German).

Germany

I would argue, though, that BZF-E and German-LP is sufficient to operate the radio in German.

Just to repeat myself again: According to an answer by the German CAA (the LBA), the German LP4 is not required when a valid English LP4 (or above) is present, but the RT licence to do radio in German (BZF2, …) is a prerequisite.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

@MikeWhiskey: Exactly! I had that discussion with the CAA as well, as I have only German LP4 due to the fact that I’m not a native speaker and I wanted to avoid an expensive German LP6 test. The CAA said very clearly: As long as I have a valid English LP, I don’t need the German LP and they quoted FCL55. The BZF was however required though for the German license. If I had however a Dutch or French license, German R/T wouldn’t have been mandatory for uncontrolled aerodromes as long as you speak English with ATC.

Malibuflyer wrote:

First: FCL.55 talks about the right to operate the plane – not the right to operate the radio in any specific language. Therefore FCL.55 is just not relevant for the question in this thread.
Yes that’s right, the LP simply doesn’t say anything about the rights to operate the radios in the specific language itself, only about the fact if you may exercise the privileges mentioned in your flight license. So if you have an English LP, you may fly everywhere. If you want to use the local language on the radios, you need R/T as far as available. In France for example, there is simply no French R/T-license, so you’re allowed to speak in French.
Last Edited by Frans at 15 Apr 10:18
Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

Second: Nobody ever said that German-LP is necessary. I would argue, though, that BZF-E and German-LP is sufficient to operate the radio in German. And obtaining a German LP4 could be significantly easier for the OP than a BZF-1 (as he does speak conversational German).

What exactly is the German LP4? I take it that this isn’t the alternative way with the local CAA that was mentioned earlier, correct? Does this correspond to the B2 level?

Thanks for bearing with me

EDHE/LLHZ, Israel

ophirmm wrote:

What exactly is the German LP4

It means that can you speak and understand (aviation) German at ICAO language proficiency level 4. There are six levels, 1-6, of which 4 is the lowest level to actually use the language in aviation R/T. LP6 means that you are a fluent speaker, although not necessarily native.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message