Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AZF E preparation

Hi guys

I will get the test in Germany in may for AZF E. Apart from the question bank of the bundesagentur; anybody has a good reco of online course in English(!) and tips to get better prepared?

Best
Töre

Austria

Hi Töre,
I can‘t speak for the AZF E specifically, but for the regular BZF and AZF Tests of the Bundesnetzagentur in their Berlin and Bremen offices.
If you trained with the questions then you are prepared for the theoretical part, at least in the past all questions were known upfront, their is no unknown question bank, as with EASA.
For the practical part, be prepared to fill out a paper flight plan form from DFS for a flight within Germany. So read through the AIP what fields shall have what content and be aware of formatting of SID, STAR, etc.
For the radiotelephone part, be prepared that there are pitfalls (e.g. last ATC command was to hold short or like up and wait, next question is: Report position or younger cleared for a STAR which ends in a clearance limit and you are expected to enter a hold). The rest is standard and pure IFR phraseology through a flight from A to B with all stations.
However I never trained with a formal book or material, I just had practical R/T classes for both certificates.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Hi Tobi,

Thank you so much for the reply. I have not yet started for my IR training to be honest. In case something comes up with the theoretical knowledge ı might not fullfill it, but ı can do the the standard phraseolgy. Do people noramlly get the test after the IR training?

Austria

I understand this is a test for an ICAO English level? In Poland the ATOs expect you to have it before starting training for the IR. I don’t know how firm of a requirement it is, but since all of controlled space IFR here is done in English, I’d consider it a pretty sensible requirement (as to not stack new things one on the other).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

No the AZF E is not the English Language Proficiency. It is a document that allows you to operate a radio on aeronautical frequencies. In general this is a requirement by the ITU, but different countries handle it differently.
E.g. in the US with a FAA PPL you don‘t need a license while you only fly in the US. If you fly abroad, you need a FCC license which you can download for 70$ from the FCC website while certifying you fulfill certain requirements.
In some European countries, this is included in the regular pilot licensing and finally you will find a note in your license:
In Germany however the Bundesnetzagentur is the FCC equivalent and they have a System of certificates:
BZF 2: Only German Radio telephony for VFR
BZF 1: English and German Radio telephony for VFR
BZF E: Only English Radio telephony

AZF: English and German Radio telephony for IFR and VFR
AZF E: Only English Radio telephony for IFR and VFR

Normally people do the BZF while they train for their license before their first solo cross country and the AZF before the practical exam.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Ah. In Poland, when I did the PPL, it was a separate exam and a separate certificate, issued by a different government agency than the CAA. Things have changed in 2015, and the exam for a radio permit is part of the theoretical exams for a license (I believe the RT part takes care of it). But yes, it is a thing. I recall the exam being simple, low stress. Not as simple as the US one, but possibly less stressful (paying $70 for a PDF can be stressful).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

AZF E previous. @yardi_z or @tschnell may know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter.. ı am more worried to take the test before the training and not being able to know the IFR procedure in case this is the focus

Austria

In general this is possible, everyone I know did the AZF before actually flying IFR. Some pilots did it just for fun to be able to do RT while sitting on the right seat for a fellow pilot.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

When I took my PPL / BZF in Germany, I learnt using Peters Exam (the company, not our Mod….) software which has recently been purchased by Boeing. If you go to (e.g.) Siebert you can find various products called exam – for example, under the category Exam for Instrument Rating, Berufs und Verkehrspilot, the IR course for ratings. This gives you all exams required to get the IR but most important, the questions for BZF and AZF (VFR & IFR respectively). Hope this helps….

PS: The software was split into a learning phase and a testing phase. In both stages you answered questions. In the learning phase, if you didn’t understand the answer, a link below the answer would take you to a module which would explain everything so it’s not solely a database of questions.

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 06 Mar 19:24
EDL*, Germany
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message